Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some kind of hack to allow the incoming call ID to be shown over the speed of 5mph!

Also, In the diagnostics, there is a Bluetooth section with some settings. Does anyone have any idea what they mean?

I don't want to play with them until I have more info.

Thanks

S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
Is there some kind of hack to allow the incoming call ID to be shown over the speed of 5mph!
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure incoming calls do show caller ID if the individual is in your phone list. If they're not it won't show caller ID whether you're moving or not. Dang, I hope I'm not wrong about this, it's just something I don't think about 27 months into ownership.

Also, In the diagnostics, there is a Bluetooth section with some settings. Does anyone have any idea what they mean?

I don't want to play with them until I have more info.

Thanks

S
If you're having significant sound quality issues you can adjust them there. You're not likely to screw anything up just playing with the BT settings, but be sure to write down the default settings before you do. Again, over 2 years and I've never needed to adjust mine...most issues can be fixed by turning down the incoming call volume and speaking toward the microphone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
I've actually been quite impressed with the sound quality of both the receiving and transmitting using the car's Bluetooth. I'm using a Nokia 6230 (in my shirt pocket) and Cingular service.

Only complaint is the lack of a signal strength meter on the dash display and maybe the times I turn off the car while on the car's Bluetooth is active and something funky happens in the shutdown where I get only receive on the phone and not transmit. Don't know why that should happen, but I've learned to stay in the car and not shut it off while a call is in session as a Bluetooth change gets kind'a messy.

Fwiw, the car's unit works and sounds far better than the Jabra BV-250v headset I also have. For some reason, that combo seems to cut out and echo more. Maybe because I can hear the background noise volume level better as it is in my ear?

Toyota must'a done something right in the phone intergration and the auto silencing of the radio is worth it.

Now if I could only get the crappy NAV system to understand me better.... I say "Potato" and it responds with something like "Thai Restaurant." :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
G. McCurdy said:
Only complaint is the lack of a signal strength meter on the dash display and maybe the times I turn off the car while on the car's Bluetooth is active and something funky happens in the shutdown where I get only receive on the phone and not transmit. Don't know why that should happen, but I've learned to stay in the car and not shut it off while a call is in session as a Bluetooth change gets kind'a messy.
:(
I think those are phone specific problems, not problems with the Prius BT system. I get a nice display of signal strenght and except for an annoying delay my entire call changes over without a problem whether starting up or stopping (though I usually try to avoid either situation due to the delay).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The signal is a function not supported by the Nokia BT implementation

Regarding the NAV, I know what you mean.....

I say "North Up" and the system says "Showing Restaurant Icons"!!!

Maybe it doesn't like my british accent!

S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
efusco said:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure incoming calls do show caller ID if the individual is in your phone list. If they're not it won't show caller ID whether you're moving or not.
If the entry is in the phone book, both the number and name will be displayed when stopped and only the name when moving. If it isn't in the phone book, you will see the number when you are stopped and nothing when you are moving. For some reason, they assume that it is too dangerous to see numbers when moving, but not names.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
redwein said:
For some reason, they assume that it is too dangerous to see numbers when moving, but not names.
Extra thinking involved.

Name => Person

Number => Name => Person...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
I think the human brain is much more complicated than that. For one thing, phone numbers can be recognized as a symbol and not just a string of digits. You don't need to think of your spouse's name, for instance, to realize that they are calling if you see their cell phone number pop up. I would also say that it takes more thought to say "Well I wonder who that is? I wish I could see the number. Oh well, I guess I'll have to answer the call if I want to find out. F**ing Toyota."
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top