Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What does one see on the MFD when Bluetooth sends signal strength properly from the phone? Using a Nokia 6230, all I see is a 'cell tower' but no indication of bars.

2) I heard a 'tone' a couple of times this morning, coming only from the left side of the car like cell audio does. Is the signal gain/loss alert passed through Bluetooth, so I'm hearing when I can and can't use the phone? I looked at the phone info after hearing it, but didn't see anything that told me calling/receiving was unavailable.

3) Is anyone aware of the setting in the phone (not specifically a 6230) to send a different ringtone to the car? I know I should be happy the car rings at all, but I'd like to use a MP3 and don't know what to change...

·
Registered
370 Posts
mikepaul said:
1) What does one see on the MFD when Bluetooth sends signal strength properly from the phone? Using a Nokia 6230, all I see is a 'cell tower' but no indication of bars.

2) I heard a 'tone' a couple of times this morning, coming only from the left side of the car like cell audio does. Is the signal gain/loss alert passed through Bluetooth, so I'm hearing when I can and can't use the phone? I looked at the phone info after hearing it, but didn't see anything that told me calling/receiving was unavailable.

3) Is anyone aware of the setting in the phone (not specifically a 6230) to send a different ringtone to the car? I know I should be happy the car rings at all, but I'd like to use a MP3 and don't know what to change...
Sorry we're not getting a sea of replies, so I'll tell you what I know:

1. I have a Moto V505 that works extremely well with the Prius. On the MFD, I see the Cell tower and several bars corresponding to signal strength. It looks similar to the signal strength meter on the phone.

2. I have not heard any extranous beeps from the phone/car that couldn't be explained. The only thing I can think of is that it beeped because BT service was disconnected for a moment. I have not heard beeps when losing Cell signal.

3. I would think this is not possible. It would be nice, but I would be suprised if this could be done.

DGStan

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, #3 does seem to have a solution.

I made sure each phonebook entry is part of a group, then I assigned each group its own MP3 ringtone. I made my mother the sole member of one group, and when I called my cell with her cell, that MP3 played through the car's left speakers.

Only real annoyances are: the phone plays it too, draining the battery needlessly, and the car picks up the ringtone a few seconds after the phone starts playing it. I'd prefer zero noise from the phone while paired, and all of the song going to the car, but I will take what I can get.

I'm asking at Nokia-centric websites if the Bluetooth pairing can be made to work without having the phone itself still ring. Profile options don't seem to allow that much flexibility, but I'm no expert...

·
Registered
425 Posts
@MikePaul

1. The signal strenght indicator depends on your phone. Not all phones pass this information over the BT to the Prius. My Nokia 6600 doesnt gie the info out for example.

2. The car bleeps when a BT phone connection is lost or fails. Make sure the phone is in the front area of the car.

3. Again, which ringtone you hear depends on your phone. With the Nokia 6600 you get the tone of the currently active profile, overridden by any ringtone set for a contact or group.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Victor said:
@MikePaul

3. Again, which ringtone you hear depends on your phone. With the Nokia 6600 you get the tone of the currently active profile, overridden by any ringtone set for a contact or group.
With my Moto, I can't see any way to change the ringtone the Prius uses. I have different people set up with different MP3 ringtones and no matter what I do, the Prius rings with it's own tone. The Prius has it's own ringtone that doesn't sound like anything on my phone.

On the plus side, the phone does not ring when connected to the car.

DGStan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts