Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

So I have a 2004 Package 9 (BC) and have had it about a year. I also have a Sony-Ericsson T608 Bluetooth cell phone. I have them set to connect which they do, however only about 50% of the time (if that) do phone calls come through the audio system. Pretty much always the audio system mutes and the screen shows that I am on a phone call, but most of the time I still have to use the phone handset to hear and speak on the call. I have been told by some that this is probably the phone. I have had other problems with it and know it is crappy. Is there any information on this, is there a compatibility issue or is there a chance that I have a faulty bluetooth system in my Prius? Please help. I have been dealing with this for a year (because it wasn't that important to fix), but if its just the phone then I can get a new one (which I am thinking about anyway)..

Thanks for your help,
Noah

·
Registered
319 Posts
I find my Nokia 6230 isn't 100% reliable at pairing with the car. Most often, I've done some sort of change (either end), then tried to use the phone without restarting the car.

If you get a 'paired' message about 10 seconds after the car powers up, but the phone isn't useable later, I'd blame the phone...

·
Registered
17 Posts
phone problem

I got a Sony Ericsson S710a to go with my new Prius (the Silver Cloud arrived the end of March, '05). It was terrible. I could barely hear callers and they said I sounded bad using the car as Bluetooth handsfree. My wife's Motorola V551 worked fine. I swapped for a new instrument and everything is fine. The BT in the S710a was crappy, not the Silver Cloud.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Id agree with MikePaul.

My Nokia 6600 works 99% of the time without problems, but very occasionally I get a "failed to pair" message. 9 times out or 10 it the phones BT program having "crashed" a reboot of the phone fixes it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Sony T68i had to be set to "Connection/Hands Free&qu

I recently bought a Sony/Ericsson T68i on eBay for USD $33.00, after someone posted that the Bluetooth Synch with the Prius was an easy operation with the Sony T68i.

After setting the Prius & Sony T68i Bluetooth configrations, I could make Hands Free Outgoing calls, but Incoming calls went only to the Cell Phone.
If the Sony T68i was on first, every time the Prius came up to Ready mode, "Bluetooth Connection Successful" appeared on the MFD.

The Sony T68i settings for "Connections" had to be reset to "Hands Free", and then Incoming Calls were handled through the left front speaker and the overhead microphones of the Prius.

The Toyota audio engineers have done an admirable job of filtering out most road noise while allowing phone converstations at normal speaking volumes. It even allowed someone in the back seat to join in the call as well.

Next I have to populate the Sony T68i Address Book and then try transferring it to the Prius. I am waiting for a USB link cable so I can do the typing in Outlook from my PC and transfer it to the Sony T68i Phone Book.

Someone posted to omit all embedded ( ) around all numeric entries. I will find out if hyphens are any problem, or if straight numeric strings are best. Pecking dozens of entries through the Sony T68i keypad is more for the "Text Messaging" generation than the "Qwerty" generation.

2005 Silver Prius, 11K miles Owners
2005 Driftwood Prius, 2K Owners

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: My Sony T68i had to be set to "Connection/Hands Fre

GSpozars said:
Next I have to populate the Sony T68i Address Book and then try transferring it to the Prius. I am waiting for a USB link cable so I can do the typing in Outlook from my PC and transfer it to the Sony T68i Phone Book.
Does the 68i have an infrared port. I got around the need for the cable by using my pocket pc as an intermediate step...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't know if Sony T68i has Infra Red port

I don't know if the Sony T68i has an Infra Red port. I just got the "Un-Locked" AT&T Branded Working Cell Phone, wrapped in bubble wrap in a Priority Mail envelope. No warranty, no documentation, no chargers, no link cable for the "low, discount" price of USD$33.00.

I found OEM chargers on eBay. Wall charger was $2.95, car charger was $3.95, and USB cable and drivers were $4.99. Where they get you is on the shipping...

I went to a Cingular Store and they said they could activate service for the phone without problem, but they had to "hunt up" an Un-Blocked SIM card in the back for it. It was all set to use after they installed the Un-Blocked SIM card.

If I find a working Infra Red port on the phone, I can try beaming contacts from a Palm Tungsten PDA. The problem may be with "many fields" transferring to "few fields". I gather that the Prius Phone Book only will accept Name Field and the first Telephone Field.

If it all works "too well" we may be fighting over who gets the car with the Bluetooth.

2005 Silver Prius, w/Blutooth 11K miles Owners
2005 Driftwood Prius, w/o Bluetooth 2K Owners

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: phone problem

Bill Merchant said:
I got a Sony Ericsson S710a to go with my new Prius (the Silver Cloud arrived the end of March, '05). It was terrible. I could barely hear callers and they said I sounded bad using the car as Bluetooth handsfree. My wife's Motorola V551 worked fine. I swapped for a new instrument and everything is fine. The BT in the S710a was crappy, not the Silver Cloud.
My s710a works great. Its much better than my sony ericsson T616. Everyone says the voice quality on the new S710a is excellent. I love it, I hear them perfectly clear, and they hear me perfectly clear. BTW, best cell phone I have ever had!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a Nokia 6230 and it does not allow the phone book to download nor one touch dialing. Also on incoming calls I do not hear a ringing tone and only attach to the caller when he or she begins talking...it is a major pain...especially since this phone was recommended by my prius dealer!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Blenderb said:
I just bought a Nokia 6230 and it does not allow the phone book to download nor one touch dialing. Also on incoming calls I do not hear a ringing tone and only attach to the caller when he or she begins talking...it is a major pain...especially since this phone was recommended by my prius dealer!
My Nokia 6230 works fine enough. Phonebook transfers one-at-a-time, but the car rings and I can use the car's 1-touch. The phone stays in the horizontal holster I found at Cingular.

The car receives the ringtone established for each group in the phone's book, so I hear Monty Python's "Spam" song by default when it's nobody I know, same as outside the car.

Not sure why the ringtone isn't working for you, but http://toyota.letstalk.com/bluetooth/toyota/6230_bt.pdf was enough to get the phoneboiok entries I needed moved over. THey don't always want to talk, so it may take some time...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sony T68i did Infra Red transfers from PDA, OK

melgish wrote:

Does the 68i have an infrared port. I got around the need for the cable by using my pocket pc as an intermediate step...

I found the Infrared port on the >side< of the Sony T68i Cell Phone and was able to transfer Name Field, 2 Phone Fields, and Email Address Fields from my Palm Tungsten T5 to the Cell Phone Address Book, without any problem. It took the full First Name, Last Name field from the detailed listing, not from the Alpha search listing. It was easier to truncate the detailed listing than to manually enter the data.

Now all I have to do is to get the Sony T68i Address Book to tranfer to the Prius. First attempts tranferred nothing at all. I am using Outgoing and Incoming "One Touch" entries with nothing in the Name Fields for now.

2005 Silver Prius, 11K Owners
2005 Driftwood Prius, 3K Owners

·
Registered
50 Posts
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx Do Not Call Prius

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

National Do Not Call List - Government FCC Cell Phones Registration Website above.

Just a reminder about our Cell Phones while driving in our Prius.
I Registered both our Cell numbers at the government FCC Website above. They Confirm by email and then Block Sales Calls to your Cell numbers for 5 years. We have had the house phones Blocked for over a year and haven't gotten any sales calls since then.

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:05:42 EDT
Subject: Nation Do Not Call List - Cell Phones

JUST A REMINDER...In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS...

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only
take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Commercial calls to cell phones

I believe this is a hoax.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Website looked the same as Do Not Call

I went to both the FCC Government Website and the Toll Free number.
I received a Reply Email from *.gov address, >before< I posted the contacts.

Neither seemed Bogus. I am very, very careful about first checking sources with official Websites such as:
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBHoaxIndex.html

Did you ever register for the original FCC "Do Not Call" list?

What makes you think the contact info. as listed is a Hoax?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If I am not mistaken, telemarketers are not permitted to make unsolicited calls to cellphone numbers.
Yes, I believe you are correct - they cannot make you pay if they want to waste your time (or somesuch). That's why the email is a hoax.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In a fit of 'better safe than sorry', I registered my cell number.

An email was passed around here a few days ago about online access to a copy of our drivers licenses, but that was apparently a hoax too.

Silly thing is, the filter at work blocks the UrbanLegends stuff so we can't verify things like that. Google cache comes through again, until The Powers That Be realize that blocked pages from that cache aren't blocked...

·
Registered
50 Posts
At least it wasn't some Phishing Scam

Thanks for the Hotlink to further information.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/b ... ectory.htm

At least the FCC WebLink and FCC Toll Free number were not part of
some Phishing Scam.

I guess there was no harm done in anyone adding Cell Phones to the bonafide FCC "Do Not Call" list. Who knows what future Cell Phone legislation might be passed to further business interests.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts