Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you can help me. I just got a Bluetooth phone, and have easily set it up so that, when the car is NOT in motion, I can dial from the LCD scree, and can always receive calls, etc., and use the hands free environment. The people I talk to say it sounds great. And I uploaded my phone book from my phone, etc.

What I CANNOT figure out how to do, is to dial from the phone and have the Bluetooth connection automatically take over the moment dialing completes. Since Toyota doesn't let you dial when the car is in motion, I dialed the phone instead. The LCD screen shows the same info as when you're dialing via the LCD screen (i.e., the volume control shows up, the hang-up button, the mute button), but the call is NOT on the hands-free system.

Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong here? Or, maybe there is something wrong with my Prius' hands-free system, do others do this?

Thanks very much to anyone that can help with this.

·
Registered
515 Posts
By the way, they are correct on that other board. I do monitor it, but due to the rude & dishonest behavior and the horrible non-thread interface (which makes deception quite easy) it just plain isn't worth participating there. I like it here much, much better.

So thank you to everyone for NOT being like that here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I have a Siemens model S56. On some other Prius-related bulletn board, somebody says his works OK.

I think I'll check with the dealer next week.

It would be much more useful if this works!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Siemens S56

I also use the Siemens S56 and have transferred my address book successfully. Surprisingly, I am able to dial One-Touch or Address Book (haven;t triedany other entry) while I'm driving, but I'm can't dial my phone and switch over to the Prius Bluetooth loudspeaker either.

I have tried to wait until the call from my cell is connected and then pushed the "call" button to no avail.

Also, the numbers I have programmed in my cell to call my Voice mail account (approx. 24 characters) does not transfer entirely to the Prius Bluetooth (thus, connecting to my Phone Message Service but not able to transmit the password and pauses that are required to retrieve my messages). I suspect that the Prius Addressbook has a limit to the number of digits in any telephone number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
re bluetooth...Toyota is not my mother

I had a similar (but different) experience with a Sony Ericsson T610, a phone Toyota recommends for their Blue Tooth System. The phone refused to take a hang up signal from the blue tooth screen during the ring cycle...The screen indicated a hang up...but 5 seconds or so later the phone sent a signal to the Toyota Blue Tooth car kit ...and I hear "hello, I am not in right now"
Now that I am connected to the called pary's answering machine ...the blue tooth system is able to tell the phone to hang up. Call waiting also would not work on the Sony Ericsson. Talking to Sony Ericsson is talking to the wall.
I have replaced the Sony Ericsson phone with a Nokia...So far, so good

BUT...RE. TOYOTA IS NOT MY MOTHER..

Shame on Toyota for determing that when you dial someone from your blue tooth system while driving (i.e. dialing from "one touch"...as that is the only way I have discovered that you can dial while driving........if you get a "press 1 for this and press 2 for that" Toyota doesn't allow you to do single digit responses when the car is moving over 4 mph.
If the call is important, and you are on an expressway...your choices are 1. pull over to the shoulder quickly (if that is possible) or put yourself into the danger that Toyota's bluetooth car kit was intended to prevent....use the phone (not the blue tooth) to dial the single digit.
IT IS DANGEROUS TO HAVE TO GO TO THE PHONE AND SEARCH FOR THE DIGIT....IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY TOYOTA HAS INCREASED OUR PERIL.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: re bluetooth...Toyota is not my mother

drh3177 said:
I had a similar (but different) experience with a Sony Ericsson T610, a phone Toyota recommends for their Blue Tooth System. The phone refused to take a hang up signal from the blue tooth screen during the ring cycle...The screen indicated a hang up...but 5 seconds or so later the phone sent a signal to the Toyota Blue Tooth car kit ...and I hear "hello, I am not in right now"
Now that I am connected to the called pary's answering machine ...the blue tooth system is able to tell the phone to hang up. Call waiting also would not work on the Sony Ericsson. Talking to Sony Ericsson is talking to the wall.
I have replaced the Sony Ericsson phone with a Nokia...So far, so good

BUT...RE. TOYOTA IS NOT MY MOTHER..

Shame on Toyota for determing that when you dial someone from your blue tooth system while driving (i.e. dialing from "one touch"...as that is the only way I have discovered that you can dial while driving........if you get a "press 1 for this and press 2 for that" Toyota doesn't allow you to do single digit responses when the car is moving over 4 mph.
If the call is important, and you are on an expressway...your choices are 1. pull over to the shoulder quickly (if that is possible) or put yourself into the danger that Toyota's bluetooth car kit was intended to prevent....use the phone (not the blue tooth) to dial the single digit.
IT IS DANGEROUS TO HAVE TO GO TO THE PHONE AND SEARCH FOR THE DIGIT....IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY TOYOTA HAS INCREASED OUR PERIL.
Not everybody has touch-tone phone service.

(It's still a separate "fee"/option for my land line phone here in the built-up Boston MA suburbs.)

A properly set-up voice mail system will usually have a "hold on the line and you will be transferred to an operator" option for those who do not have touch-tone service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bad sound quailty.....

I just got my prius and love it. I set up the bluetooth in mintues with no manual. I have always had a sence for tech. I have found i can dial if need from my t616 or use the simple speed dial on the phone. Have not transfered my phone book yet as i need to format it to be prius friendy(1 number per person). My only complainet is that people say i sound horrible and drop in an out. I notice the same thing. Is this the phone the car or both. I would love to hear how this cool tech in working for other people!!! Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's the cell service itself in some cases.

I just switched from a T610 on T-Mobile to a T616 on AT&T-GSM. The very first call I placed on the new one, I was told to stop yelling.

Those phones are virtually identical. The only true difference is the transmit technology. And I had become so use to over-speaking the standard background noise over the line that it had to be pointed out that it wasn't there on the new service.

Needless to say, mine works great. (Good thing too, I just signed a 2-year contract.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bluetooth phones & 2004 Prius

I was using a Sony-Ericsson T616 with my 2004 Prius, and it paired without issue, the car found the phone each time, and even connected directly to the car hands free when dialing via the phone when the car was in motion (since you can't dial via the car when driving). I switched to a Motorola V600 and while I can pair the phone, it will not auto-connect each time you re-enter the vehicle. Unfortunately there are variations from phone to phone with the bluetooth techonology.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Downloading Phone Book via Bluetooth

I have a SonyEricsson T610 BT phone. I have downloaded my address book from my phone to my Prius. It seems to download properly, but the end result is that names are truncated to about 9 characters.

The problem is that numbers are stored on the T610 with a suffix indicating home (/H), work (/W) or mobile (/M). So any person with multiple numbers (home, work, etc.), I find immediately merged into one number with the others lost.

Has anyone run into this and have a way out? Is there a setting I missed somewhere? It seems very odd to me (especially with long Japanese names being common) that Toyota would have truncated names to 9 charactersso I must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Truncated names

Yes, I have experienced truncated names and telephone numbers (see my original post). This also is a problem for me with multiple numbers for individual (Home, office, or cell), which I too add as a suffix. My one-touch dialing on my Prius allows 11 alpha-numerical entries.

If the numbers are important to you, you can abreviate your phone address book, or put the designation of each number earlier in the name, then reload the address book into Prius Bluetooth, choosing to replace the old address book.

Joe B

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bluetooth and V600 cell phone

I also have a new 2004 Prius and a Motorola V600. The phone auto connects flawlessly each time that I start up. I notice that a number of you mention that you have had no trouble loading your phone books into the Prius. I have only been able to do so one entry at a time witht he V600. How can I load an entire phone book at once?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prius and Motorola V600

Hi Podge,

I also have a 2004 Prius and recently got the Motorola V600. I am having trouble getting the Prius link to the phone when I get into the car. The first time I setup the phone, the connection is fine. But if I turn off the car power and turn on again, the connection fails. Is there some other settings I missed?

I think the problem is with my V600 because I am having problem connecting it to my Mac too.

Any pointer is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
548 Posts
hbark said:
Thank you. I have a Siemens model S56. On some other Prius-related bulletn board, somebody says his works OK.

I think I'll check with the dealer next week.

It would be much more useful if this works!
I think you can do this with the S56, but you have to configure it to work in the "car" environment. Normally when you're in a call, you get the option to transfer it to the speaker phone via the left select button. I think if you switch it to the car mode, or you may have to configure it yourself, you should be able to get that button to allow you to change it to a handset (BT).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Bluetooth phones & 2004 Prius

FA124 said:
I switched to a Motorola V600 and while I can pair the phone, it will not auto-connect each time you re-enter the vehicle. Unfortunately there are variations from phone to phone with the bluetooth techonology.
I have two V600's, and they both auto-pair just fine to the car, and also the the Moto 810 BT headset.

The two times I noticed a pairing problem to the car, were
1) When I got in, started it up, remembered I forgot something, and exited. This before the connection actually went through. A manual Seek from the phone reset that.
and
2) When the phone tried to pair in an absolute no-service area after I had the phone shut off... I speculate that without checking the network, it didn't want to do anything else.

For V600 Owners having troubles, one thing to make sure, is that BlueTooth is set to ON all the time on the phone. (Setup | Connections | BlueTooth Link | Power). By default, the phone comes with bluetooth set to Power Off, which is actuall "On Demand", meaning you have to manually initiate pairing from the handset. With power "ON", it keeps the bluetooth system on.

Keeping Bluetooth on all the time reduces battery charge-life by a tiny bit, but considering how long the batteries last in these things, it's not noticable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Bluetooth phones & 2004 Prius

FA124 said:
I switched to a Motorola V600 and while I can pair the phone, it will not auto-connect each time you re-enter the vehicle. Unfortunately there are variations from phone to phone with the bluetooth techonology.
I have two V600's, and they both auto-pair just fine to the car, and also the the Moto 810 BT headset.

The two times I noticed a pairing problem to the car, were
1) When I got in, started it up, remembered I forgot something, and exited. This before the connection actually went through. A manual Seek from the phone reset that.
and
2) When the phone tried to pair in an absolute no-service area after I had the phone shut off... I speculate that without checking the network, it didn't want to do anything else.

For V600 Owners having troubles, one thing to make sure, is that BlueTooth is set to ON all the time on the phone. (Setup | Connections | BlueTooth Link | Power). By default, the phone comes with bluetooth set to Power Off, which is actuall "On Demand", meaning you have to manually initiate pairing from the handset. With power "ON", it keeps the bluetooth system on.

Keeping Bluetooth on all the time reduces battery charge-life by a tiny bit, but considering how long the batteries last in these things, it's not noticable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In researching compatibility between my '07 Prius and a prospective prepaid cellphone I found many hints at incompatibility. I have pasted a sampling below:

"Certain Bluetooth features including those listed may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices, or by certain wireless carriers. Contact your wireless carrier about feature availability and functionality."
"In order for Bluetooth devices to communicate with one another, they must utilize the same Bluetooth profile. This device supports Bluetooth 1.2 and supports "headset" and "handsfree" profile. To determine the profiles supported by other Motorola devices, visit http://www.hellomoto.com/bluetooth. For other devices, contact their respective manufacturer."
"Bluetooth® Technology: Class 2"
"Bluetooth® Supported Profiles: hands-free 1.5, headset, dial-up networking, file transfer -server, object push, and generic object exchange..."
"Network Compatibility: GSM"
"Obex profile..."

etc...

The experiences shared in this forum are helpful, but don't narrow down the incompatibilities to one or the other technical parameters suggested at by the above excerpts - not to mention specific cell phone models~

May I suggest three new Topic headings:

1. Fully Compatible Cell Phones (enter brand/model/service provider for fully compatible experiences)
2. Partially Compatible Cell Phones (Largely compatible, but with minor limitations or quirks)
3. Incompatible Cell Phones (Tried, but found not to work satisfactorily)

I will try to find time to glean the models and categories shared previously in this topic (Bluetooth Question) and initiate the 3 topics, unless someone else has the time and inclination.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should check out http://toyota.letstalk.com This site lists all phones that have been tested with the Prius Bluetooth system. Your Seimens S56 does not show up in the list. I use an HTC Mogul from Sprint and I have no issues at all with the phone system. I spend at least an hour a day using my phone through the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts