Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our Prius at the beginning of Nov. with option #9--which includes the nav system and Bluetooth hands-free phone system. The problem I have is that my cell company exclusively uses the CDMA protocol and none of the phones listed as being compatable with the Prius system by Toyota are CDMA phones. It would be a real pain to switch cell providers...and that may be futile since I understand that the best service in the wide open spaces of Montana is CDMA based (perhaps I am wrong about this since the info was provided by my current carrier...but I checked and the other big ones in the area are also CDMA.)

A tech person at the cell company (Cellular ONE) lent me an old Motorola Timeport phone with a Motorola-made Bluetooth Phone Module (SYN8705A) that clips on the back of the phone (replaces the original batter cover). I have tried to get this to "talk" to the Prius, but cannot figure out how to enter the "Pass code" into the phone. Can anyone help with this?...Or is this an older Bluetooth Module that doesn't have the ability to talk to the Prius? (The module was originally made for a hands-free wireless earpiece, but the tech guy said that it was a little buggy.)

Thanks!

--Scott Harris ( :roll: )

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty certain that that adapter won't work. There's a device available called the Jabra Freespeak which allows hands free ear piece/microphone use with non-Bluetooth phones. Many of us hoped it would allow us to use our current cells in the Prius, but it won't. There are 2 protocols needed (sorry, can't recall them off the top of my head), but the adapters only get you one of those two.

In my case my wife's cellular contract expires in 2 months. I ordered a new GSM phone from http://www.intelenetwireless.com. I got the Sony Ericcson T-610--after rebates and after paying the activation fee I'll actually be in the black $15 (that's $15 in my pocket)--there was one instant rebate, one rebate you mail in immediately on getting the phone and one you have to remember to mail in after you get your 3rd bill (ok, that's a PITA). Still, It's a very good bluetooth enabled camera phone. The contract is just one year (1000 anytime minutes for $40/mo--nationwide, e-mail and picture sending is more) with T-mobile. They have 1 other bluetooth phone as well, I think. It also included a belt clip and car charger (as well as the home charger) for free. Free 2nd day FedEx shipping and the phone was activated there so it was ready to use when it hit my door. I did go and buy a USB connector so I can hook it up to my computer and upload new ring tones, and download the pictures to my computer. YOu can also upload addresses from Outlook if you use that.

It connected easily to the Prius and is a dream to use--so convenient, so much safer, good sound. A couple tips, since I'm on a roll....

When you get a phone when you are entering names and numbers remember to just put a short name--only 9 characters are listed on the name line in the Prius phone book--so you need to abreviate and use codes---ie. Fusco Tamara Cell will only display Fusco Tam so If I have Fusco Tamara Home and Fusco Tamara Work they will all look the same on the phone list. In my case I just tried to shorten long names as much as possible and just used C for cell, H for home, W for work, etc. Also, just put one number under each individual name entry--the phone book in the Prius will only take one number and it's apparently unclear how it decides which one it wiil pick. If you add new numbers on the phone you have to manually uploaded those into the Prius--it doesn't do that automatically.

--evan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts