Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us looking to get a phone with bluetooth to take advantage of the Prius' capability, please post your success or lack of success with what model phones. Also mention what network your phone is on.

Thanks, Mike N.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After much hand -wringing I bought a NOKIA 6310i afetr glowing reviews by some of my european friends who first had their hands on it. Their views were backed up by numerous write-ups commenting on it's many capabilities including BLUETOOTH. Going to http://www.nokia.com will give you a full list. Excellent battery standby time and talk time- the original battery is great !
And you can buy off their site.
After a period of a few days when the Prii wouldn't talk to a "paired" device...I've had seamless functionality with the car. The 6310i is fully supported by TOYOTA, as informed by the tech.
Since it is a GSM type phone , you'll have to be on Cingular (my provider), AT&T, or T-Mobile. Love my rollover minutes :) [/u]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also had to switch from Verizon to Cingular because Verizon did not have any phones which had Bluetooth. I got the Siemens S56 and it works fine. I had a little trouble figuring out how to get the connection up because the phone's instructions weren't well written. It's pretty simple once you become familiar with the phone. I still haven't figured out how to download the phone numbers to the Prius. I might have to break down and read the instructions. :lol:

I'm getting 55 mph in combined suburb and city driving so I'm vey happy with that! :D Next week I go to Key West (work related) so I'll find out how the mileage is on the highway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Using a T616 and it is working fine. Generally fols tell me it sounds like I am in a tunnel, but the speech is intelligible without effort. Phone connects fine and it was a snap to upload the phonebook.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sony Ericsson T616 - hit or miss

The first T616 I got from AT&T Wireless did not work well with my Prius. I had intermittent interruptions and voices were fading and cutting in an out. This was on both ends of the phone/connection.

I went ahead and replaced the T616 with AT&T and got a new one which I have had no problems with it. I also read on another post of someone who had the same problem.

Net net, it appears that it is not the car but the phones that work or don't work. So when you get a new phone and try it out asap....if it works, greaat; if it doesn't exchange for another one and hopefully it will work. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sony Ericcson T610

Just picked up a pair of T610's - and the Bluetooth works great (not to say that the phone's interface couldn't use some improvment), the car even recognizes the phones in the house when it's parked in the garage :) Sound quality is great in the car and have heard the same from the other end of the call also.
Bought them from Let'sTalk.com (Toyota's site) and ended up making $100 in the deal with rebates from manufacturer and Let'sTalk. Had to switch our service to T Mobile and have not yet had any issues with their service.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a T610 that works pretty well. It has a few small issues that I would like to see corrected. For starters, there is no ring when receiving an incoming call for instance. The radio shuts off and the phone screen comes up, but no ring, at least not one I've heard.

Also, when you transfer the phone book from the phone over to the Prius, only one number per name shows up. Many of my listings have two or three numbers, so I have to go back to the phone and manually dial it. To that end, you cannot manually dial the phone or look up a number on the Prius phone book while the car is moving. I understand this is being prevented for safety reasons, but it's not very practical. Am I supposed to pull over to the side of the freeway if I want to make a call? At least give me voice activated dialing.

Finally, there doesn't seem to be away to make a call from the handset while the phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth. If I want to do this, I have to disconnect the Bluetooth and then dial the phone. But then it seems, you cannot reconnect the Bluetooth unless you turn off the car and restart it. Again, not very practical if you're cruising down the freeway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike N. said:
For those of us looking to get a phone with bluetooth to take advantage of the Prius' capability, please post your success or lack of success with what model phones. Also mention what network your phone is on.

Thanks, Mike N.
I dropped my Verizon service for T-Mobile and picked up a Nokia 3650 as suggested by http://toyota.letstalk.com/ . I love the phone, but as some have mentioned it doesn't show the signal strength on the Prius screen (Not a big deal).

The other downer of this phone is that you can only upload one phone number at a time rather than the whole phone book in one click (like some other phones?)

Other than those two items it is Extremely Awesome to throw the phone in the car and all the sudden have the car ring and talk with crystal clear reception from both ends...

(It would have been way cooler if we could sync our Calenders with the built in Prius Calendar too... and if we could play the MP3's from our Phone over the system as well... but alas, I guess the car can't do EVERYTHING)

-----------------
Tom Bush
'04 Gray Pkg #9

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motorola V600 with Cingular works perfectly.

If you want the Prius to ring, for an incoming call, turn OFF Auto answer in Car Settings, then answer by pressing the steering wheel switch.

This is a great phone, with a $50 rebate $200 - new service $100 rebate

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the T616 from Cingular. I havn't EVER (knock on wood :D ) had a problem with it. It works perfect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts