Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PDA battery is starting to go so I'm probably going to need to replace it soon. Is there any reasonable use for a bluetooth PDA to talk to the Prius? My cell phone is separate and is not a Bluetooth device.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Variable success with Treo 650 has been posted

People have reported varying degrees of success linking the Treo 650 via Prius Bluetooth. Make sure you get the software upgrade for it.

The Treo 650 has features of the latest Palm PDA's and operates as a Cell Phone as well. Our next Cell Phones may be Treo 650's as soon as the prices drop a little.

Happy 2005 Driftwood Prius 2K Owners
Happy 2005 Silver Prius 10K Owners

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering about non-phone connectivity. Can you download info from the car into the notepad, for example?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Prius Bluetooth seems to work only for hands-free cellphones

It seems there must be some >mutual< way for Prius Bluetooth to recognize device Bluetooth, with matching Challenge-Response ID's and PIN's.

Prius Bluetooth works only for hands-free cellphones, as far as anyone has posted to date. Treo 650 has PDA features and has been linked to Prius MFD Phonebook display by some Prius owners.

Bluetooth has more capabilites than just making phone calls but Prius is not quite PDA aware for now, so it seems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Blackberry has PDA features but Phonebook has Xfer probs

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:26 pm Post subject: Blackberry 7100T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy, we just bought a 2004 Prius with package #9 and I have a Blackberry 7100t. The phone works fine. The transferring of the phone book feature doesn't work. I scoured the web and found nada. If anyone finds something I would love to know.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Astrowoman said:
I'm wondering about non-phone connectivity. Can you download info from the car into the notepad, for example?
Unfortunately... no. The Prius has a very braindead (and I'm being kind) bluetooth implementation. It's almost like the engineers for the calendar and addressbook didn't talk to the bluetooth people until a week before the software was finalized.

All you can do with the Prius is transfer VCards (address book entries). And that doesn't even work half the time (it supports a very limited number of fields, and disregards any phone numbers past the first phone number it finds). The "programmer" who designed this should probably be given a stern talking to and a few beginning programming books. :)

Other cars with bluetooth do support more features, and some will even resync the address book as soon as you get into the car (very nice feature that).

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: Blackberry has PDA features but Phonebook has Xfer probs

GSpozars said:
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:26 pm Post subject: Blackberry 7100T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy, we just bought a 2004 Prius with package #9 and I have a Blackberry 7100t. The phone works fine. The transferring of the phone book feature doesn't work. I scoured the web and found nada. If anyone finds something I would love to know.
My reading is that T-mobile crippled the Bluetooth capabilities on the Blackberry 7100 just like Verizon did with the Motorolla V710.

·
Registered
548 Posts

mrv said:
My reading is that T-mobile crippled the Bluetooth capabilities on the Blackberry 7100 just like Verizon did with the Motorolla V710.
Woah...

That'd be a very new thing for TMob... generally they're the most "open" of all the carriers. I'd take another look before I arrive at that conclusion, if I were you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you were not a package 6 owner I would sugest looking into this. It looks like a cool upgrade for those of us without bluetooth or nav already.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

Jonnycat26 said:
mrv said:
Woah...

That'd be a very new thing for TMob... generally they're the most "open" of all the carriers. I'd take another look before I arrive at that conclusion, if I were you.
It was mentioned in this NYT article about the Verizon V710, that they followed T-Mobile's lead on the Blackberry 7100 for disabling some Bluetooth features:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/30/techn ... d2&ei=5070

further reading is that RIM just didn't include the OBEX protocols in the Blackberry firmware, so ALL RIM Blackberrys cannot do the file transfer (upload contact list). whether it was for "security" reasons, or because T-Mobile decided to be different for this phone, is unknown. Some features may work better after an OS upgrade, but the phonebook transfer will not work.
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/16332
http://bluetoothcar.typepad.com/main/20 ... 100_1.html

·
Registered
548 Posts

mrv said:
It was mentioned in this NYT article about the Verizon V710, that they followed T-Mobile's lead on the Blackberry 7100 for disabling some Bluetooth features:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/30/techn ... d2&ei=5070

further reading is that RIM just didn't include the OBEX protocols in the Blackberry firmware, so ALL RIM Blackberrys cannot do the file transfer (upload contact list). whether it was for "security" reasons, or because T-Mobile decided to be different for this phone, is unknown. Some features may work better after an OS upgrade, but the phonebook transfer will not work.
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/16332
http://bluetoothcar.typepad.com/main/20 ... 100_1.html
Actually, yeah, you're right. It's RIM which didn't include the BT features. Any other BT enabled phone you buy from TMob will just work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts