Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the bluetooth capability can be added later as an add-on or if it only is possible with the purchase of package #5?

Thanks.

Ken

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bluetooth can't be added to an earlier package Prius. I asked a similar question earlier about possible after-market add-ons and unfortunately Bluetooth technology was part of that list.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Bluetooth, nav and voice command are all part of the same electronics package. If you don't want one of them, you can't get any of them. It kind of sucks, but that is the way it goes when you are forced to buy cars in packages rather than with ala carte features. Although I have no doubt that if vehicles were made today with ala carte options like it was in the past they would be a whole lot more expensive than they already are, and they are plenty expensive as it is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bluetooth can be added as a third party option and much cheaper than the factory system, although it will not integrate nav features with the factory MFD. Here's one company I found, there may be others.

Parrot Bluetooth

I know this is an old post but I just came across it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
OverTork said:
Bluetooth can be added as a third party option and much cheaper than the factory system, although it will not integrate nav features with the factory MFD. Here's one company I found, there may be others.

Parrot Bluetooth

I know this is an old post but I just came across it.
but how much does that cost compared to "factory" installed?
maybe a couple hundred, vs. a couple thousand?
does it work as well?
is it as seamless?
and it is always going to look like smething stuck on your dash
and power? batteries? lighter plug? hard wired?
all 3 have their faults

Spike

·
Registered
92 Posts
The question was is it possible. At $250 Vs. $4000 I might be willing to accept some compromises. You would have to check it out and decide for your self.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
OverTork said:
The question was is it possible. At $250 Vs. $4000 I might be willing to accept some compromises. You would have to check it out and decide for your self.
What you mean by $250 vs $4000 ? You are not instigating here that the "BlueTooth" alone from Toyota cost $4000 are you ? A s I understand the Bluetooth feature is bundled up to work with the Nav and phone all integrated to work in harmony so if bluetooth alone can not cost $4000 ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't mean to imply bluetooth alone was $4000. But it does require choosing a higher option package. In my market the available option packages are #2, #4 & #7. The #7 is the only one with bluetooth and is $3950 more than the next lowest package.

It was a mistake for me to assume that what's available here will apply to every one.

My point was, for me to have bluetooth would mean paying for some very expensive features I would not normally want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the parrot system in two cars. It is a nice system but a real pain to install as it is set up for european standards. Its sound quality is close to the stock system (noise reducing mic etc however it does put a low level hum on the stereo. I have tried ground loop noise reducers, common ground points etc but they do not stop the hum. The parrot must be tapped into the speaker wires so that the call can be broadcast on the stereo. The hum is from the parrot but not ground related. Also note that the radio must have a mute capability for the parrot to work.
Another option is a Bluetooth compatable head unit. There are two models out now and more will probably follow. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If the parrot taps into the speakers, the radio has nothing to do with it. That's how the stock system works though, it mutes the radio and takes over the driver door speaker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts