Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a Bluetooth headset tried using it with the Prius? With or without a Bluetooth capable phone?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The Prius pretends to be a headset, so it won't communicate with another headset, only with things that are looking for headsets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Prius is a headset

So an MP3 player with Bluetooth headset capabilities would work perfect?
IF it existed of course :wink:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Re: Prius is a headset

Jim Biggs said:
If someone made an mp3 player that could output to a Bluetooth headset, the Prius would probably work just fine outputting its sound.

One thing I want to try (I only have a package 7, so no bluetooth) is to link my computer with a Prius, and see if I can use a voice instant messenger through the Prius. (iChat on the Mac supports using a Bluetooth headset for chatting.)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Make sure you've got an updated virus scanner running... You wouldn't want your car to go somewhere without you :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
melgish said:
Make sure you've got an updated virus scanner running... You wouldn't want your car to go somewhere without you :)
Which is why I would connect up my Mac. No (real) Mac viruses out there. (There have been claims of a couple of 'vulnerabilities', but none have been seen in a 'real-world' virus, and all have been patched relatively quickly.)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Which is why I would connect up my Mac. No (real) Mac viruses out there. (There have been claims of a couple of 'vulnerabilities', but none have been seen in a 'real-world' virus, and all have been patched relatively quickly.)
Do we have to go there :?:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh... more info than I was looking for, but still useful. Short version seems to be that if I pick up a $80+ Bluetooth headset, don't expect to use it with the Prius. What I was looking (hoping) to find is that it would be able to supplement/replace the built-in hands-free and provide a more "localized"/private method of using the NAV/voice system. I guess it was too much to expect this early; perhaps in a future model. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Prius is a headset

Jim Biggs said:
Well, the Prius "headset" is not stereo -- it's the left (driver's side) speaker.

I'm wondering if there's any way to rewrite the "headset" connection from the Bluetooth comm interface to the stereo system, so that a stereo bluetooth connection would, in fact, be played in stereo, and not just on the left-side speaker?

·
Registered
8 Posts
TechnoMage said:
Has anyone with a Bluetooth headset tried using it with the Prius? With or without a Bluetooth capable phone?
I have a Jabra BT200 and it works fine while in the car, but only if I've disconnected the Prius bluetooth first. Or, the Prius Bluetooth connection works but only if I disconnect the BT200 first. As someone already pointed out, both Bluetooth headsets cannot be connected to your Bluetooth phone at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts