Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who understand the Bluetooth stuff far better than I. I am looking to get the new Treo 650, when it comes out. Who can tell if there is any indication as to its ability to function with the Prius? That is really the reason for me to upgrade from the 600, as there isn't much else different.

Thanks,
Spike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I beta test PDAs... the PocketPC doesn't peer with the Prius, but the 650 does. Haven't tried uploading the 'phone book yet, but hands free works fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
nimija2000 said:
I beta test PDAs... the PocketPC doesn't peer with the Prius, but the 650 does. Haven't tried uploading the 'phone book yet, but hands free works fine.
Hi nimija2000,

Any clues on getting the Treo 650 to pair with the Prius?
Can you place a phone call after pairing?
Can you place more than one?

Elsewhere it's been reported that though the Prius seems to pair successfully with the treo, the treo never leaves the screen where it's waiting to complete pairing.

It's been reported that if you ignore that screen & try to make a call, it works once, but that's it ...

The geeky & worried prius owners/wannabe treo650 owners deserpately wanna know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes I would like to know how you did it. I've been trying since I got my T650 with no luck. If you have a step by step, I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Treo 650

Been away for a while. The unit I tested was the Treo 650 GSM, and only the Sprint version is currently available. You can get so far with getting it to work, but please post your experiences here and we'll see if we can figure it out together.

To Pair:

Follow all the regular instructions, but the Prius won't return to the menu (or register the 'phone) after pairing, even after the 650 thinks all is well.

To un-stick the Prius, make a call on the 650 within a few seconds, and the Prius will confirm pairing and register your 650.

To Connect the 'phone:

Power off everything. Restart Treo. Boot up Prius.

650 will connect, you can make and receive about two calls, then the 650 or the Prius will disconnect.

To reconnect, stop the car then re-select the 'phone. Drive away again, make a call, go to the beginning of this sentence!

I tried pairing an HP PPC 'phone with BT, and got similar results (I can't beleive that there's a line of code similar between the implementations of BT stacks on both), so I'm blaming the Prius.

More soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BTW: Just dug out the beta GSM 650 for more in-depth testing. Pairing works as it should (i.e. Prius sees the 650, pairs and registers as normal).

HOWEVER, I could only make two calls without having to reconnect the 650 again. Seems like there's a Prius problem, as my Jabra Freespeak BT200 headset works fine.

Of course, there are very few "hands free" profile devices available, and PalmOne would have conducted extensive testing on the things most people use: BT headsets.

I've received a few PMs asking if I'd recommend upgrading to a Treo 650 for the Prius, and I would not at this time. It's more likely that PalmOne can fix the problems with a firmware upgrade, but Toyota are very unlikely to do anything about it. PalmOne are supposed to have an upgrade for the CDMA unit Q2 next year, but I'm hoping the GSM version will work as they'll have an extra 2-3 months to work on the firmware before it's released to Cingular.

·
Registered
12 Posts
nimija2000 said:
BTW: Just dug out the beta GSM 650 for more in-depth testing. Pairing works as it should (i.e. Prius sees the 650, pairs and registers as normal).

HOWEVER, I could only make two calls without having to reconnect the 650 again. Seems like there's a Prius problem, as my Jabra Freespeak BT200 headset works fine.
Thanks for the good information! FYI the T650 seems to work with the Lexus handsfree system, but not with Prius or Acura TL.

I'm a little suspicious of the claim that it "works" with the Lexus since I though that Lexus and Prius have the same bluetooth handsfree system ... if I learn more I'll post here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Sprint PPC 6601 and have been able to pair it with my Prius. It establishes a bluetooth connection and the handfree listening, speaking, picking up and hanging up do work. It is only when you ask the car to dial that it complains that there is no CDMA signal and refuses.

You can dial a call through the phone and the Prius will take over from there. Works reliably and consistantly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sprint is logging complaints...

Sprint tech support is logging complaints about the Treo 650 not working with both the Prius and the Lexus.

According to the guy I spoke with, there should be a fix soon, as PalmOne can't afford to tick people off that have both expensive cars and expensive phones...

My experience has been the same as the posters above. I can make a call within 2 seconds of starting the Prius, but if I wait longer, it doesn't connect. Once that call is over, no more calls are made or received without restarting the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just tried nimija2000's solution and I got one call out of the Prius/Treo650 combination, could not transfer address book data. So I guess we have to wait for action from either Palm or Prius. I agree with one of the other postings that they may be working on it to preserve an alignment between high end consumers who buy their products.

I also contacted Toyota (as per my report on another one of these sites) as follows:

I purchased the subject phone with bluetooth and am trying to pair it with my Prius for hands free phone operations.
1) The instruction manual that came with the Prius does not exactly match the configuration of the car. My VIN is JTDKB20UX40075585 and the manual publication No. is OM47459U. It would be good to get a manual that matches my car.
2) I have paired the phone with a bluetooth headset and a computer, so I know the phone bluetooth works.
3) I can get the phone to recognize the Prius and is shows the remote device address which corresponds to the address shown on the Prius display. However the Prius will not recognize the phone, there is no indication of cellular reception on the Prius display, and I can't make or receive calls.

Has Toyota experimented with this model phone, and is there a web site where I can go to get detailed instructions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks; I figured as much. However, it is disconcerting to see substantially different screen prints in the manual than what you have in the car. They ought to do better for the price of a Prius.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if it's because I have the unlocked GSM Treo 650, but mine now autmoatically pairs with the Prius every time I drive. I can make and receive phone calls, transmit phone entrires one person at a time. Works great. The only problem is that I can't dial from the phone itself and I can't transmit the enitre phone book (some data seems to get lost).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts