Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to some people who said the 2006 Prius might get a nav upgrade to support bluetooth 2.0 since it is the new big thing and starting to come out in many place. Most important in cell phones, it is supposed to be more compatiable, faster and use half as power for longer batter life. Lower power is good for both the prius itself and your cell phone battery. So i hope it is true. Anyone have any info on this?

I heared motorola will have some phones with bluetooth 2.0 very soon and logitech already has some keyboards and mice based on it and thus providing a 2.0 bluetooth hub (receiver).

TUW

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The only major things Bluetooth 2.0 adds are data-oriented or power-consumtion-related. So Bt2.0 cell phones will use less battery power running their Bt transceiver. (Not that Bt used a lot anyway, it'll provide the most benefit to headsets.) Oh, and it increases data rate from about 700kbps to about 3000. So unless Toyota adds a web browser to the MFD that connects through your cell phone, it won't really affect the Prius much.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ehurtley said:
The only major things Bluetooth 2.0 adds are data-oriented or power-consumtion-related. So Bt2.0 cell phones will use less battery power running their Bt transceiver. (Not that Bt used a lot anyway, it'll provide the most benefit to headsets.) Oh, and it increases data rate from about 700kbps to about 3000. So unless Toyota adds a web browser to the MFD that connects through your cell phone, it won't really affect the Prius much.
But, that would be a cool add on...a web browser...

·
Registered
515 Posts
ehurtley said:
it increases data rate from about 700kbps to about 3000. So unless Toyota adds a web browser to the MFD that connects through your cell phone, it won't really affect the Prius much.
Haven't you ever listened to an MP3?

That increase in data rate directly translates to an increase in quality, so it very much would affect Prius. The cell-phone connection should sound better.

Keep in mind that the current setup is the first implementation of bluetooth and that it is transmitting in both directions at the same time. An improvement is inevitable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
ehurtley said:
So unless Toyota adds a web browser to the MFD that connects through your cell phone, it won't really affect the Prius much.
I'd be more interested in Toyota properly supporting 1.0 myself. :) Bad Toyota programmers, bad!

And the actual profiles(Headset, OBEX push) haven't changed much (if it all) from 1.0 to 2.0, it's just the transmission rates. New 2.0 BT devices will still work with the Prius, and so vice versa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts