Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm short and sit up close. The frame from the front along the top of the front windows created a blind spot. When turning right it blocked oncoming traffic coming from the right. When turning left, it blocked oncoming traffic coming from the left. Straight was fine. Anyone else have this problem? any suggestions? My 2006 will be in 1/14, but i haven't been able to rent one for a day to really try it out

·
Registered
58 Posts
:? Yes the Prius has blind spots, I am 6'2'' and I almost hit two cars, I never saw them coming.

I bought 2 round convexed (spelling) 2" mirrors with sticky back tape on them and put them to the outside edge of the mirrors.

Made ALL the differance in the world.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
[quote="Tigermidge]I bought 2 round convexed (spelling) 2" mirrors with sticky back tape on them and put them to the outside edge of the mirrors.
[/quote]

So just how does these mirrors help with the blind spot created by the front pillars? Do they face forward, like ones on school busses?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you set your side mirrors properly, you can use them to see if you have room to pass. It's not perfect, but it works. I am short but also cannot turn my head much. I used to use a full view mirror, but with the auto-dimming mirror and the blind spots even with the full view, I chose not to use it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If you set your side mirrors properly, you can use them to see if you have room to pass. It's not perfect, but it works. I am short but also cannot turn my head much. I used to use a full view mirror, but with the auto-dimming mirror and the blind spots even with the full view, I chose not to use it.
I believe paulalouise is referring to the A pillar. And yes it is a definite blind spot, but you get use to it and have to move your head a little more…

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blind spots

yes, i was referring to blind spot caused by the frame of the car in front between window and windshield. No problem when passing, can use side mirrors for that.

My problem was at an intersection, the frame blocked out oncoming traffic from the cross street, or pedestrians crossing the street. If I wanted to take a right turn, I wouldn't see someone starting to cross the street from the other side. Same problem on the left.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
As I was reading this I thought to myself, yes there are blind spots, but they are to the back. However I can agree that a frontal blind spot is created by the angle of the A pillar and the interior mass of it. The small window at the base of the A pillar does help create more visibility when looking towards the passenger side of the vehicle.

However, I think that proper road and intersection scanning by the driver should negate any of the effects of the A pillar placement or heft. I suppose subconsciously my head is rather active while driving as I'm aware that I do a lot of road scanning and looking when driving in a city environment.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
" the frame blocked out ... pedestrians crossing the street"

Yes, I have been surprised several times to move my head and find someone who was compeltely concealed by theA-pillar before I moved my head. Size and positin of that structural member is awful, and must have been done for strength in a crash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts