Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen various posts on rear visibility in the Prius (mine's on order) and just thought I'd like to pass along a tip that I read several years ago about how to minimize your blind spots.

Typically, people adjust their side mirrors so that they have a very good view of the side of their vehicle. A better way to adjust side mirrors is as follows:

Sitting in the driver's seat in you normal position, move your head over next to the window. Adjust your left side mirror so that you can just barely see the left rear end of your vehicle. Next, move your head over until it's almost even with the center (rear view) mirror and then adjust your right side mirror until you can just barely see the right rear end of your vehicle.

Try out these settings. What you should find is that as a vehicle is approaching from the rear, it appears in your side mirror just as it's disappearing from your rear view mirror. As the car continues past you, it should appear in your peripheral vision at just about the same instant that it disappears from your side mirror. Voila! No (or minimal) blind spot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will have to try this, thanks for the tip! It sounds like it might even be a better solution to sticking on a convex mirror, the Prius has some pretty bad blind spots.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Here's another "adjustment" to assist in rear view visibility.

Many Prius owners have not discovered that the rearview mirror is mounted on the windshield with an arm secured to the windshield with a "ball joint." This enables you to adjust the entire mirror assembly "up/down" AND "left/right" within limits to compensate for your eye level.

Tomel's suggestion above on adjustment of the exterior mirrors is excellent. I first learned this method in a "Defensive Driving" course couple of years back. It takes a few days to become accustomed to it, but expands your vision to adjacent lanes very well.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Tomel,
I adjust my side mirrors exactly like you. I used to always have the left one's innermost part showing the side of my car. About 12 years ago, I just missed hitting a Honda Civic passing me on a freeway as I started to pull into the passing lane. That woke me up to the blind spot caused by this typical adjustment. Now I can see a car--no matter the size--in the rear view mirror and then the side one without not seeing it at some point. If you can see the side of your car without leaning a lot to the left, it's a blind spot on the freeway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
:) Here's another "adjustment" to assist in rear view visibility.

Many Prius owners have not discovered that the rearview mirror is mounted on the windshield with an arm secured to the windshield with a "ball joint." This enables you to adjust the entire mirror assembly "up/down" AND "left/right" within limits to compensate for your eye level.

Tomel's suggestion above on adjustment of the exterior mirrors is excellent. I first learned this method in a "Defensive Driving" course couple of years back. It takes a few days to become accustomed to it, but expands your vision to adjacent lanes very well.
Another suggestion that I read about several months back was to rotate the rear view mirror 180 degrees keeping in mind that the mirror cable will tighten if you go the wrong direction.

It takes a few days to get used to as far as esthetics but the improvement of viewing area out the rear windows is immediate.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Gee, I was taught to adjust my side mirrors that way 100 years ago when I was learning to drive! I wonder it that's why I never thought there was a real "blind spot" issue...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Gee, I was taught to adjust my side mirrors that way 100 years ago when I was learning to drive! I wonder it that's why I never thought there was a real "blind spot" issue...
Wow! Manatees live for over a century! :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
Astrowoman said:
That's cause they don't drive too fast, and keep their rearview mirrors properly adjusted. And keep away from hungry polar bears. ;)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sanny said:
coloradospringsprius said:
Astrowoman said:
That's cause they don't drive too fast, and keep their rearview mirrors properly adjusted. And keep away from hungry polar bears. ;)
Now, if we could just figure out how to avoid those boat propellers...

·
Registered
2 Posts
A-pillar blind spot

I've never had a problem seeing vehicles out of the back. I usually adjust my rear-view mirrors as you recommend.

My problem is when I'm taking a left-turn at a stop sign. I've almost hit cars coming towards me from the right several times, because they're hidden behind the thick A-pillars (above the right-side of the dashboard, I mean). I have to be very careful, and move my head from side to side to make sure a car isn't in that blind spot.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Endangered species have to stick together. :wink:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Bear, when you say "endangered species need to stick together," do you mean like 'stick to your ribs' stick together? ;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
Bear, when you say "endangered species need to stick together," do you mean like 'stick to your ribs' stick together? ;)
Nothing so crass... we are :) philosophical :) :

So like I teach the cubs, be kind to other endangered species. :wink:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
BMcGraw said:
Another suggestion that I read about several months back was to rotate the rear view mirror 180 degrees keeping in mind that the mirror cable will tighten if you go the wrong direction.

It takes a few days to get used to as far as esthetics but the improvement of viewing area out the rear windows is immediate.

! Al B. Darned; this *does* help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
richard schumacher said:
BMcGraw said:

! Al B. Darned; this *does* help. Thanks.
I haven't tried this, but how does it help? I can see the whole rear window (such as it is) with the mirror right side up. What are you gaining? And how long does it take to get used to reading the compass and thermometer upside down?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Turning the mirror upside-down was to supposedly have it operate better in preventing headlight glare from a vehicle in your rear. A compass/thermometer is not part of the factory rear-view mirror, though some aftermarket ones did have these.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Turning the mirror upside-down was to supposedly have it operate better in preventing headlight glare from a vehicle in your rear. A compass/thermometer is not part of the factory rear-view mirror, though some aftermarket ones did have these.
I had the Auto-dim/Homelink mirror added to my package after delivery.
They don't all have the compass and temp when the upgrade mirrow is part of the package?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts