Toyota Prius Forum banner

Given the loss in value of your trade allowance over your waiting period and the ability to purchase

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So advanced it makes the future seem obsolete.

Package #4 -- includes driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags [2]; Smart Key System; and High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, integrated fog lamps and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)

As the largest Toyota dealership in the region we have resources at our disposal no other Toyota dealership can match -- period. We can beat any other dealer for your trade and, as you won't be waiting on a list we'll value your old vehicle in today's dollars, not next year when your ship finally come's in.

We understand as a Toyota purchaser you are concerned with value (if you weren't you'd be buying something else). We employ the best vehicle service department around, no other dealer even comes close.

Negotiating a vehicle purchase used to be an uncomfortable process, our no-nonsense approach will keep you coming back to us again and again.

While we do employ an additional dealer markup, the Prius is available NOW, we pay today's top dollar for your trade, we employ the best overall value, and we're not going to waste your time.

Please call, e-mail will not be responded to.

Serious inquiries only.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Is "additional dealer markup" fair? Yes, it is fair for a dealer to add on to the MSRP to make extra money. This is capitalism.

Is it ethical to charge a significant amount over? No. I was willing to pay $5000, but at that much, you lost out on me purchasing a higher-end package. (If your sales manager had been willing to drop the markup by a little, I would have bought a package 9 instead of the package 7 I ended up getting.)

Would I have paid more than $5000 markup? No. That was my cutoff. Some people have much lower cutoffs. (Including only being willing to pay MSRP.) Would I feel that a markup is fair on EVERY vehicle? No. The previous two cars I have bought new, I paid significantly UNDER MSRP for, and would not have been willing to buy even at MSRP.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I guess thats really the point. As far as I know there are only two cars even getting MSRP today. The Cadillac STS and the Prius because there are not enough of them. I believe the Ford Escape hybrid will soon fall into this category. Now we come to the "dealer" who takes advantage of the situation and skipps playing fair with his customer. Obviously we all have different opinions about this practise. Fortunately only a few isolated dealers have sucummed to this markup and it seems only in one section of the country, (I'm lumping the whole west coast into this category) Unfortunately for those that do there are those in the area that do not and I hope the public remembers down the line when a new car is in the picture and where you want to be bringing your car in for service. I'm sure that the dealers selling thousands under MSRP are not walking away from the table with a loss as they now all seem to be doing it, so MSRP plus 3 to 5 thousand over list really is highway robbery. So, just "REMEMBER"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, just to toss in my $0.02...

Your argument of the relationship between ADM, trade-in value, and wait time makes some sense. I could see myself accepting an ADM if it were close to the trade-in value, but... I'm not replacing a car, I'm adding a car to my family. So, there's no trade-in. Since other dealers can guarantee MSRP, and some of them can offer a car within the timeframe I'm looking for, this excludes any dealer who charges an ADM from my list. I probably don't represent most customers, though. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it "fair"? If customers are willing to pay it, it obviously seems fair to them.

I personally will not pay over MSRP for a Prius or any other vehicle; I think it's ludicrous to do so when you don't have to.

The bottom line is, dealers are charging more for the Prius *because they can*. Is it fair? Well, in my mind, if a dealer is going to make extra money off me *because he can*, whether it's fair or not, why wouldn't he do the same thing on any parts, repairs, and maintenance I might need? I could never trust that dealer to give me a fair price on anything. Ergo, I wouldn't work with that dealer. But we all know what P.T. Barnum said, and I'm sure there are people out there who make enough money not to care.

The Prius is a non-essential item that is in high demand. Price gouging on this car does not carry the same ethical weight, to me, as price gouging on essential items like medical care, food, or water. If someone is gouging you because they know you're over a barrel, I don't think it's fair. But it's my choice to buy a Prius or not and it's my choice to pay dealer markup or not.

My own personal opinion is that overcharging for the Prius is a pretty distasteful practice, and that dealers who do it are really shooting themselves in the foot. Having said that, I own a business; I too profit from capitalism. I won't overcharge my customers, but if you can and get away with it, well... more power to ya. That's the beauty and ugliness of capitalism.

You won't be getting any business from me, though.

Love,
Lupin

·
Registered
5 Posts
In reply to your question: My old Prius car went up over the year I have waited, and I am ending up with an '05 for the price of a Dec. order of '04 (missed the '04 increase, too).

Be Nice, It counts in this world. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts