Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bird "new car targeting system" was in full affect today when my 3 day old 2005 Package #6 Tideland Pearl Prius got assaulted by those little flying devils.

When I got home and cleaned it off, there was a little residue left over that wouldn't come off. It's just a slight discoloration from the regular paint color... this is after I cleaned off all the black gunk. The only thing I used to clean it was warm water and all-purpose Windex.

Does anyone know how to properly clean this off? Could the residue have something to do with how the paint is treated before it's shipped? Any help would be greatly appreciated... it is a small tarnish on my perfect car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
bird mess

Depends on the bird ! Seriously, what the bird's diet & digestive system is & therefore the composition of its dung can make the difference. Some dung is very acid therefore more destructive.

I believe you were right to use warm water. I never use anything but plain water on my car, not car soap, not cleaners, not anything.

I think best future protection would be a good coat of a quality car wax, done regularly. Dont park under trees, overhead power/telco lines.

I bought the paint protectant coating that my Toy dlr offerred, even tho I knew it was an expensive price compared to getting it done later; but it came with 5yr warranty on paint damage like bird dung. That is because I wanted protection right out of the dlr shop; and I am too lazy to do it myself. So far, (11 month old 2004 Sillver), I have been pleased with the coating.

Make a personal call on the paint shop guy at your dlr, buy him a cup, then ask him what he would do if the mark you see happened to his car. May not be much. But worth a try.

·
Registered
181 Posts
there are plenty of soaps on the market made especially for your car. if you have paint sealer put on, go to whoever did it and get an aftercare kit. it will have soap that can be used that is effective and completely safe.

it is strongly suggested that you use these soaps on a regular basis as this will enhance the life of the paint sealer.

there are pollutants in the air that will oxidize your protection and paint if left to simmer on your car. plain water will dilute but not wash this polutant off. you must chemically counteract this by increasing the pH to 7. soap is ideal for this.

your paint sealer should be refreshed 1-2 times a year for maximum benefit and shine. the biggest mistake you can make is to not thoroughly wash and rinse your car WITH soap and water first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts