Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ol Jaspur down at the hardwar store dun red to me an articl witch sez that BillFord dont like cars like the preeis whitch is gettin the privilig to drive in the HOV lanes.

Well gol durn it. I bin thinkin about cuzzin Homer. He done killed both his mama and his daddy with a 11 gag or 12 gag shotgun. Witch gag I don recal. When he appeared befor the judge there was ol cuzzin Homer askin the cort for mersey cuz he was a now poor orphan sins both his parents wuz ded.

Now aint that similar to whut BillFord wants. He maid the Linkun Blackwud and the EXkursun and he also maiks sum of the biggist hugest gaz guzzlers on the planit. Now he is complainin cuz the guvvimint is rewardin folks who buy cars that dont guzzil much gas. In fac, my Preeis sips the stuff. Mabey ol BillFord is gettin some gaff from them friends of hiz that brings the oil heer. After all, les gas guzzled, les oil them fellers can sel. witch meens less monee tham guys lik BillFord tak home in salaree an bonisis.

Insted of crybabyin about the reward Preeis drivirs is gittin for being smart and buyin cars that dont guzzil too much gas why dont he build sum of them himselfe, that get equil the milige that preeis cars git and otherz witch is them whut the EPA sez dont guzzil so much and then he can quit bicchin about the success of the other car companeez lik Toyotah an Hondah?

Is sumpin weerd heer or wut?

Arizonz Charlie

·
Registered
188 Posts
You are mostly right in your eval. But you must also understand that a 45+ mpg vehicle is not do-able for everyone. Myself for example, with 4 children and my wife, there isn't a vehicle made that I could purchase that would conform. Now, if people were able to purchase passes for xxx dollars, but then eocologically beneficial vehicles got that same pass for a fraction of the cost - then that would be fair. Then they could take that money and put it towards more environmental programs and that would make sense for everyone.

·
Registered
215 Posts
arizona charlie said:
So ol Jaspur down at the hardwar store dun red to me an articl witch sez that BillFord dont like cars like the preeis whitch is gettin the privilig to drive in the HOV lanes.

Well gol durn it. I bin thinkin about cuzzin Homer. He done killed both his mama and his daddy with a 11 gag or 12 gag shotgun. Witch gag I don recal. When he appeared befor the judge there was ol cuzzin Homer askin the cort for mersey cuz he was a now poor orphan sins both his parents wuz ded.

Now aint that similar to whut BillFord wants. He maid the Linkun Blackwud and the EXkursun and he also maiks sum of the biggist hugest gaz guzzlers on the planit. Now he is complainin cuz the guvvimint is rewardin folks who buy cars that dont guzzil much gas. In fac, my Preeis sips the stuff. Mabey ol BillFord is gettin some gaff from them friends of hiz that brings the oil heer. After all, les gas guzzled, les oil them fellers can sel. witch meens less monee tham guys lik BillFord tak home in salaree an bonisis.

Insted of crybabyin about the reward Preeis drivirs is gittin for being smart and buyin cars that dont guzzil too much gas why dont he build sum of them himselfe, that get equil the milige that preeis cars git and otherz witch is them whut the EPA sez dont guzzil so much and then he can quit bicchin about the success of the other car companeez lik Toyotah an Hondah?

Is sumpin weerd heer or wut?

Arizonz Charlie
So after trying to get through the stereotypical "yokel speak" for 5 minutes and only getting a couple sentences down, I gave up

Not to mention that if this was PriusChat and you did the spell check, it would have made your computer magically come to life with the sole purpose of bitch slapping you

·
Registered
623 Posts
kenlacy said:
... Myself for example, with 4 children and my wife, there isn't a vehicle made that I could purchase that would conform...
Yes, but when driving with any one of them you get to use the HOV lane. It's only when driving that big family car alone that you don't get to use it.

However, I question the wisdom of using the HOV lane, which was intended to reduce congestion, as an incentive to buy a car that is already in such high demand that you have to wait a year to get one; and that must be short-term anyway because before too long there will be so many hybrids on the road that the HOV lane will be as crowded as all the other lanes.

But then, I also question the wisdom of living in a place so overpopulated that HOV lanes are even considered.

·
Registered
98 Posts
kenlacy,
If you are really wanting that hybrid for family use, get onto your local dealers list now for one of the first hybrid Highlanders. Release date should be around May of 05. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Daniel said:
kenlacy said:
... Myself for example, with 4 children and my wife, there isn't a vehicle made that I could purchase that would conform...
Yes, but when driving with any one of them you get to use the HOV lane. It's only when driving that big family car alone that you don't get to use it.
And here is another kicker: A big SUV or van seats 9, but you only need to fill 3 of those seats to use the HOV lanes. This equals 33% of capacity for a 10 mpg vehicle. Meanwhile, if I use the Prius or my Miata, with my wife and myself, I'm using 50% & 100% of capacity at 40+ mpg & 27+ mpg respectively, but I'm not allowed to use the HOV lanes. If the HOV rule drops to 2 occupants then the ratio becomes 22.2% for the gas guzzler. If I'm alone in my Miata, I still have a 50% capacity usage. I also fail to see the difference between a two seat motorcycle & a two seat car regarding the HOV lanes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Toyotrever - The highlander is a mini SUV - It would need a towing capacity in the range of 5-6000 lbs to suffice and it is no where near that. I would hazard to guess that a hybrid for me is quite a ways off.

Daniel - that is my point - if someone is able to use the HOV alone - then that option should be made available to all. Being ecologically conscious should be a benefit (getting the permit for next to nothing versus paying out the nose which I would have to do), but it should still be an option.

In all reality, I agree with you, the HOV lane should be there to alleviate congestion because that is what its purpose is.

In Minnesota they call it the "Sane Lane" and there was a deal on the table a while back that would have allowed peopel to pay extra for use - in which the money would go to infrastructure whatnot - it got shot down though - people just saw it as a benefit for the wealthy, nevermind the good the money could have done for the state.

·
Registered
59 Posts
bradca21 said:
So after trying to get through the stereotypical "yokel speak" for 5 minutes and only getting a couple sentences down, I gave up

Not to mention that if this was PriusChat and you did the spell check, it would have made your computer magically come to life with the sole purpose of bitch slapping you
You almost made forced me to get a new keyboard :D

Shouldn't eat cereal while reading Prius boards, unexpected fits of laughter may occur. :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Daniel said:
...But then, I also question the wisdom of living in a place so overpopulated that HOV lanes are even considered...
People have to live someplace, and usually that someplace is where the work is.

·
Registered
257 Posts
BIF said:
Daniel said:
...But then, I also question the wisdom of living in a place so overpopulated that HOV lanes are even considered...
People have to live someplace, and usually that someplace is where the work is.

Unfortunately in many ares\as of California, AFFORDABLE housing is about a 2+ hour drive away from where the jobs are located. The Prius would save both fuel and emissions for the commute. Use of the HOV by these type vehicles would encourage the purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There was some interesting commentary by Michael Hiltzik of the LA Times about this issue:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-golden26aug26,1,5900502.column

(Note: If you have not already signed up with the online LA Times you will have to do so to view this article - it's free though)

In short, Ford wanted the minimum MPG to be reduced to 35 from 45 (the hybrid Escape gets 36). As noted in the article however, a few conventional cars achieve 36+ MPG undermining the whole point of distinguishing between hybrids and conventional cars.

Personally, and I say this as a very near future Prius owner and one who would directly benefit from this law, I'm actually against this law (for many of the reasons Hiltzik notes). For one thing, given that the number of passes (75,000) will just about cover current and near future hybrids already on the road, it won't do much to stimulate consumer interest. Second, the point of HOV lanes is both to improve traffic flow and reduce pollution and I believe the former effect is likely more meaningful than the latter. Adding a bunch of single drivers will definitely impact traffic flow.

Also, and I'm less sure of this theory, one might be encouraging some people who currently carpool to do so less. I'll give you the example of my wife and I. We work in the same place but often have different schedules. Nonetheless we carpool so that the person who needs to be in earlier can make use of the HOV lane. If our Prius is a free ticket into the carpool lane, rather than both of us having to spend extra time at work, the person who needs to use the car during rush hour would take the Prius, and the other person would take the other car during the non-rush. So instead of one regular car on the road, we've got one regular car plus the Prius. A net negative for society in terms of traffic and polution. I realize this is probably an unlikely scenario in general but I bet that there are a few disgruntled car poolers out there that would love to jettison the need to drive in with other people.

So basically I don't think the law will do what it intends and may, in fact, have negative consequences. The better approach, IMO, is the use of tax credits.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Exactly! The whole purpose of the HOV lane is to give an incentive to people to car-pool so that there will be fewer cars on the road. Car-pooling is inconvenient, so you offer a counter-balancing convenience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts