Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so alkaline leaking from batteries and wiring corroding should be acceptable for owners like myself ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have read SSC and now with the link (Thank You) Everyone else can as well. I only stated facts not opinions. Wires are corroding , Cells are leaking , Only thing left out is potential to short to body however very small chance. Why is it taking so long for U.S. to repair vehicles ?

·
Registered
515 Posts
> I only stated facts not opinions.

"MAJOR" and "EVIL" are both opinions that you stated.

> Why is it taking so long for U.S. to repair vehicles ?

Again, it is not a repair. It is a preventative measure.

And there is no rush because it doesn't occur until late in the battery life. So it will still take awhile before any owner here even comes close to that time. Remember, Prius was introduced in Japan back in 1997.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we go again. I don't know how much toyota is paying you to make light of this situation but then again I don't want to. "MAJOR" as I used to describe the recall (SSC) is not an opinion and is very accurate considering it includes almost every vehicle for the model years I spoke of. Secondly "evil" was nothing more than HTML from the emotion icons which did not show up. I hope this nets you a raise somehow but before I finish perhaps you can explain to all of the readers the following. If you are so sure that this "leakage" from the batteries will never affect our cars than why would toyota be replacing the wiring as part of service. Seems to me if cars are ok and this was "preventative procedure" dealers would be just inspecting batteries not replacing wiring , cleaning corrosion, installing absorbant meterial to catch the "leakage", lastly using some kind of sealer to stop batteries from leaking alkaline where they should not be in the first place. Now I will give my opinion. If I have an alkaline battery in my flashlight and the battery starts leaking, I am not going to clean it off , put some silicone around the ends , wrap it in paper towels (to catch the leakage) and put it back in my flashlight are you ? Or should I check the humidity level and reconsider ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
This kind of "preventive" recall isn't all that uncommon, even for conventional automobiles. I remember a recall on my Saturn that was to prevent electrical fires in the charging system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct there are many recalls for preventative procedures but this one I believe is a little different. These cars have a problem however these batteries (hybrid) are very expensive at about $3500. I am wondering are we preventing anything or are we puting a band-aid on on them to keep cost down ? I'm not saying I'm right and there wrong just that sounds fishy!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm not worried. After all, it's a Toyota!

EDIT:

Hmmm, I just reread the original poster's entry that started this thread. No facts offered, no context. Just scaremongering.

<sniff, sniff!>

Hmmmm, I think I smell a troll. Unless his demeanor and tone change very quickly, I think I shall not post in this thread any more.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't personally own a Prius that's troubled by this issue, but... if it were me, I'd be on the phone to my dealer ASAP. If you're someone who lives in areas where weather conditions aren't very nice to cars (and I'm talking anywhere where you might get a lot of snow and road salt) I can see this being an issue.

It probably falls inbetween the original poster who may have been trying to panic people, and John1701a who seems to gloss over every issue.

Get it fixed, but don't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
John1701a who seems to gloss over every issue.
That's not constructive.

Remember, over and over again I request ACTUAL DATA.

If you don't have it, nor any specific information to share, then don't post.

People come here for help, data does that. Causing worry doesn't. When you get the notice, go it to get the work done. It's not a big deal.

And remember, when spark plugs are changed in a vehicle (with a distributor-cap), it is a routine procedure to also replace the wires... whether they need it or not. If Toyota does the same with connections for the modules or pack, why complain? Preventative measures should be welcome.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't plan to bother my dealer on this one. It's not clear whether this applies to the "classic" 1997-2000 Prius, or the "classic" 2001-03 Prius. It looks like a total of 2 cars have exhibited symptoms (out of more than 100,000 if it's the 2001-03). I trust Toyota to send notices to those car owners that need something done.

If you own a Prius and aren't on their mailing list, you may want to let Toyota know. No matter what make/model car you own, you should always be sure the manufacturer knows how to contact you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Remember, the 1998-2000 models of Prius use the "D" packaging.

2001 introduced the module packaging. So it is unknown whether there is actually any issue at all.

This preventative measure could be nothing but good-will on Toyota's part, a gesture of confidence for the classic owners, a way of saying thanks for supporting us.

In other words, don't jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since some believe I'm scaremongering HAHAHA this will be my last post.
I tried to let everyone know whats happening not scare them just to make aware. Toyota is great quality but money makes the world go round.

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
That's not constructive.
No, you're right. It's not and I apologize.

But.... but... I've seen you be very unconstructive yourself. You do gloss over actual issues. I've seen you do it with the 40D update, by stating that the issue was with the tool that read the diagnostic codes, not the prius. It was, in fact, the prius that was returning bad diagnostic codes. When you were called out on it, you kinda sidestepped it and wouldn't actually admit to it.

Not wanting to scare or worry people is one thing. Misleading is quite another.

And I really don't want to start a big thing here, but I've also seen you do it with an issue I seem to see popping up here and there. I remember a while back on edmunds a poster named (I think) drscientific had his prius die on him while on the highway. He went on to state that this was potentially unsafe and listed everything the techs told him went wrong (not sure about codes, but he definitely listed parts). You dismissed him out of hand for the most part, and I feel sad to say it, but at the time I assumed you were right, because you were the prius guru, and I didn't have one yet.

Lo and behold, the same thing started happening to other people, myself included. My tune has definitely changed there.

john1701a said:
Remember, over and over again I request ACTUAL DATA.
For what? Are you going to post it on your website? I don't expect you to, it's an enthusiast site after all... but when I see people who have the same issue I had, I do jump in and tell them what happened with mine and give them the codes. I don't dismiss the issue as a non-issue, or a potential issue as a non-issue. When you do that, you do turn a few people away from the community, and in the end that hurts everyone.

·
Registered
515 Posts
When claiming someone did something, please include a link to the source.

Allow others to judge for themselves.

We need to play fair and remain objective.

Your previous post will be disregarded for now, since data to support has not been provided yet. Then, the conclusion you came to might be better understood. That event did not unfold for me the way you described. Let the actual posts reveal what happened.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts