Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now (and 2 dif. car wash services) I've taken my Prius in - asked the person I handed my car over to if they were familiar with this type of car - explained that I have the smart entry and they don't need the key - I left the fob in the cup holder - and TWICE they had no idea what they were doing - this morning was the second time - i was the only one at the car wash (it was a foggy, drizzely day in beautiful Santa Cruz) and i waited and waited and waited and started wondering...where the heck is my car - well - it was stuck inside the car wash and the guys couldn't figure out how to drive it forward - when they completed the wipe down, I got in the car and found my key fob (the whole thing) stuck in the key slot - I've never used the ignition before, but I thought you were supposed to take the little key out of the holder? Egads - Never again - from now on, I'll have to go the self serve wash - some of these guys are such dopes!

Sorry - had to vent and y'all are the only ones that could possibly understand - I feel better now! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The little key is designed to remain inside the fob at all times.

But the question at hand is much bigger. The valet cards are nice, but you have to assume that the user would be able and willing to read and follow directions. Unfortunately, not many people do either very well these days.

I don't let anybody valet my car.

I explain it to them that it has a special start procedure. I could just as easily say that it was keyed to my personal fingerprint or retina scan, and they would never know!

·
Registered
130 Posts
LOL, I had a little fun....

A few months back I had to have my tire checked, as I thought there was a screw in it. I explained to the nice gentleman that when it was my turn to call me, as my car had a "special" way of starting it.

So, when he called me, he wanted to see. Without saying a word, I walked up to my car and said, "Open Sesame" and it opened. I got in and pushed a button and said, "Go", and backed it up.

I think the guy's eyes were the size of dinnerplates before I filled him in.... and have laughed about it ever since.... hehehehehehe...

Yeah, I'm mean... but nice mean, you know?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I was at a carwash that had dealt with a prius before
(where are they, I never see them)

Anyway, being so used to SKS, I forgot I still had the key in my pocket. The car was still ready, so no problem... yet.

They probably turned it off to vacuum it. Later I hear an announcement "anybody own a red toyota?"
Yes, me.

We need your key.

Ooops.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car wash

"I explain it to them that it has a special start procedure. I could just as easily say that it was keyed to my personal fingerprint or retina scan, and they would never know!"

Exactly!! I will defintely be a regular at the self serve - you would think with a Toyota dealership right down the street from both these car washes, they would have experience...I guess until there are more Prius' running around (maybe next year?) there will be misunderstandings...

Bif - Thanks for the good laugh!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
BIF said:
The little key is designed to remain inside the fob at all times.

But the question at hand is much bigger. The valet cards are nice, but you have to assume that the user would be able and willing to read and follow directions. Unfortunately, not many people do either very well these days.

I don't let anybody valet my car.

I explain it to them that it has a special start procedure. I could just as easily say that it was keyed to my personal fingerprint or retina scan, and they would never know!
Oh cool! Which package has the retinal scan? :wink:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
Oh cool! Which package has the retinal scan?
That would be package 13 which, like the 13th floor, doesn't show up in the brochure. You have to rant and rave until the salesman finally admits that it exists.

I took mine in for a scrub this week...I said "have you driven a hybrid before?" Of course they said "yes". Then they came and got me when it was time to pull it forward. :)

They did a crappy job on my windows, which reminds me, I'd better get out there and fix that before it gets dark.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've only had to show the valet/carwash guy how to do it once. All the others were quite familiar with them, but they inevitably put the fob into the ignition slot. And just as inevitably, when I turn off the car and open the door I ask myself, "why is it beeping?"

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had more trouble with car wash idiots.

Yesterday a woman drivers her Odyssey in and misaligns it in such a way that it shuts the machine down halfway through. I'm stuck in line behind her and she just sits there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car wash in Folsom, CA refused to wash my '04. Said there was a "dealer fix" to keep it out of park that I'd not had done. Washed it myself and saved $15.00. :x

·
Registered
19 Posts
RE: Beware the car wash gremlins

I know that car wash in Folsom! I was in there the other day too with my truck and was asking whether they had any experience with a Prius. I was told the exact same thing-that there was a dealer "fix" on the car preventing it from moving forward in the wash. They also said they had to remove the roof antenna.
When my name finally comes up on the list to be able to buy a Prius(want Package #6 in silver, red or white), I'll be sure to not go to this car wash!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to admit, I *LOVED* the "Open Sesame" trick.

But... I used the retinal scan line with a coworker... :p
Good thing she's got a great sense of humor!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts