Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an intake manifold pressure gauge into a Prius?

This gauge indicates the negative pressure in the manifold caused by pressing (or stomping) on the accelerator. The harder you press, the higher the negative pressure reading, and the higher the gasoline consumption.

Oldsmobile (remember them?) installed them into the Toronado quite some time ago, but I've never seen one installed by the manufacturer since then. I would really like to install one, but if someone has already done it, it would be nice to hear how she or he went about the project.

Maybe Toyota would consider this for the Mark 3, which is due in 2009 with the Lithium/Ion battery technology.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I believe you will find the digital readout is remarkably close to the manifold pressure guage readouts. And todays Buick still has a manifold pressure guage readout calibrated in MPG.
It's all "old hat" but brought up to date in the info panel on most new cars.
The new Camry hybrid has something very similar dead center on the inst panel between the speedo and the tach.
And if you search here for "Scan Guage" you will find that an instrument is purchasable right now that will give you this info as MAP along with a tachometer (engine run monitor) coolant temp guage and 12 volt ammeter by just plugging it into a socket already in the car.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
That reminds me of my Dad's '63 Pontiac Grand Prix--my first car to drive and share--I put black racing stripes on it, and took off the wheel covers and painted Cragar mags in white on the black wheels, and once washed it with Comet cleanser (what the %#*^ hell did you do that for son???)--it had a Manifold Vacuum gauge. It would show how much gas you used by accelerating (and DID I accelerate!). It was like a tachometer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.