Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone understand the logic of the beeping in reverse? If it beeped outside the car, I would understand it as a safety feature. Beeping inside is an annoyance. Can the car be programmed to not beep in reverse?

Thanks,
Mike
2005 Prius (went 2 miles without a stop on electric today 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh...I should have read the technical group first before posting as the answer on how to turn it off is there.

Sorry,
Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
beeping

I've decided after 2 weeks that the beeping is cool and unique.

HOWEVER- I hate the seat belt beeping. I wear a seat belt but often go on really short drives and forth for work (2/3 minutes) and don't buckle up. It's REALLY annoying. THAT's the beep, I'd like to remove!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: beeping

drtravel47 said:
HOWEVER- I hate the seat belt beeping. I wear a seat belt but often go on really short drives and forth for work (2/3 minutes) and don't buckle up. It's REALLY annoying. THAT's the beep, I'd like to remove!
What would REALLY be annoying is if you lose your life or a limb because you didn't buckle up.

You can get in just as serious an accident in a 2/3min drive as a 2/3 hour drive.

There is a greater chance of being injured by the air bag being deployed if you are not buckled up.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: Beeping in reverse - anyone disable that "feature&q

mrichman said:
Does anyone understand the logic of the beeping in reverse?
Mike
2005 Prius (went 2 miles without a stop on electric today 8)
The logic is that many times a driver will be in reverse, (as when backing out of parking, to clear a crosswalk, etc), become distracted, forget they are in reverse :oops: , accelerate and lurch backward causing an accident or injury.

(I know I know, this would never happen to anyone who visits this site)

Keep the Beep
It is meant to annoy
To keep us from crashing
Our Prius Toy :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hyperion said:
A lot of new owners don't realize that the beeping is only heard in the interior of the car.. I've never owned any other previous car with this warning installed.
Me neither. I'd like all cars to have it. And it not be able to be disabled.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there an easy way to add a back-up beep on the outside? I find it hard to see out the rear of the Prius and I would like to give anyone walking behind me a heads-up. Given the lack of engine noise, I think that a back-up beep would leval the playing field for pedestrians.

Roger

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: beeping

drtravel47 said:
I've decided after 2 weeks that the beeping is cool and unique.

Chances are greatest that if you are killed in an auto accident it will be within 5 miles of your home. Your only hope is to move somewhere else. :wink:

·
Registered
919 Posts
beeping in reverse

When I showed my new Prius to my friend (who owns an older model), she was really excited to hear the reverse beeping as hers doesn't have it. She assumed that it could be heard on the outside as the quietness of the car at stops can be a danger to passing pedestrians. I opened the window, but no sound on the exterior. However, a couple of times backing out of my driveway in the wee hours of the morning, when it's easy to become distracted, the beep reminded me not to accelerate into my garage. I'm glad this feature has been added for at least the interior, but wish it were available on the outside as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks

OK OK
all of you fellow Prius-ites are right. I buckle up all the time now. Dr. Prius has taught me a lesson.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
RJMusser said:
Is there an easy way to add a back-up beep on the outside? ...
I don't know what sort of bulbs are in the back up lights, but in some cars you can install a beeper bulb or adapter that will make a beep when the light is activated. Backup lights on? Beeper on. Maybe check autoparts store, or one of those "goofy stuff" catalogues.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Apparently Toyota included the beeps in their 6-spd manuals on the Matrix/Corolla XRS models

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
yes, the reverse beep is only heard inside of the vehicle (unless you get the external sensors fitted that are rather common in the UK)... and it's only heard in 2004+ Prius, not in the Classic (where there's just a simple blinking box around the R in the PRNDB display)...

if you have a North American Prius, you can disable the reverse beep:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... tm#reverse
http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-misc.html#reverse
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=948
http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=7

A similar procedure will turn off the seatbelt beep, and that procedure seems to work on all 2004+ Prius, not just the NA ones. (easiest is still to just use the seatbelt, but...)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
We also need a device that when the car runs in all electric at low speeds (lower than say 20 MPH), you here something like:

Too loo do do 'car coming' [repeat]

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
All I get is an error page in French. Sounds like the link you used has local object dependencys, as I see the word cookie in the URL.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hyperion said:
A lot of new owners don't realize that the beeping is only heard in the interior of the car.. I've never owned any other previous car with this warning installed.
Never owned one either, but I believe the Celica has that feature too. At least it did when I test drove one several years ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DanMan32 said:
All I get is an error page in French. Sounds like the link you used has local object dependencys, as I see the word cookie in the URL.
Yes, so sorry, I do apologize.

The link point to a small circuit (price: €15) that emits a diesel engine noise.

Needs loudspeakers (Another Part #)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts