Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the red triangle of death yesterday, and took the car in this morning. Toyota just called me and said that there was a problem with the battery junction box, and they had to tear apart the battery, drain it, and rebuild it (all 64 separate sections... all right, I may be exaggerating the number of cells).

But of course they don't have the parts, and need to order them, and I have to bring the car back after they get the parts, since they have to allow the battery to drain overnight. But the car is safe to drive until they are able to get the parts...

Has anyone else had this type of problem with the battery? He said that this is a known issue with the battery, but I hadn't heard or read about battery issues before. I had always heard that the battery was very reliable.

Deena is a 2004 BC, that I picked up Aug 21, 2004.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
A "known issue?"

It is no exaggeration to say this is the first case of non-accident-caused battery failure I have heard of.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm confused... if they already "rebuilt" the battery, what parts are they waiting for?

I did see a Prius in the service department at my dealer that was having the battery sealed... apparently this was a recall or TSB or? at one point? I think it was a pre-'04 car though.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There's a known issue for the classic where the bus bars have to be resoldered, but not the 04/05. You don't drain the battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I guess I was unclear. They will need to rebuild the battery. They haven't done that part yet. They still need to order the parts in order to do it.

The dude said they would have to rip it apart, drain it, and then re-seal all the parts.

I thought he said there was a TSB regarding the battery rebuild, but I could be mistaken. He also mentioned the junction box. He didn't sound like he really knew what was going on.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
I'm confused... if they already "rebuilt" the battery, what parts are they waiting for?...
They have to import a new little hamster to run on the wheel to charge the battery. The original one got tired trying to charge a failing battery. Exhausted the critter, so now he's in Toyota's old hamster home, snacking on carrots and raisins.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sanny said:
Astrowoman said:
I'm confused... if they already "rebuilt" the battery, what parts are they waiting for?...
They have to import a new little hamster to run on the wheel to charge the battery. The original one got tired trying to charge a failing battery. Exhausted the critter, so now he's in Toyota's old hamster home, snacking on carrots and raisins.
Ah. They don't use canaries for this sort of thing, do they?

·
Registered
68 Posts
why don't they just buy a new battery? seems excessive to rebuild a battery. besides, it might spill all that acid-crap in your car and it'll end up looking like a coral reef in there after something like that...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More info:

On the receipt, they noted that they "Special ordered parts for Battery Recall". The battery recall is the important part.

He also spoke to the technician, who found another TSB that they ordered parts for. Turns out that was for the updated navigation DVD. They ordered that for my car. So the TSB is for that. He was getting mixed up.

I get to call them Friday or Monday to find out if they have the parts necessary for the battery repair, to arrange to leave the car.

As for the pooped hamster, I think we need to go with a sturdier rodent. Maybe a squirrel?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have a friend who owns a 2002 and introduced me to the Prius. She had a battery failure (contrary to what we've read online--"no battery failures") and was given a new one on her warranty. No problems since and she still raves about her car.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There is no TSB for any battery issue on an 04/05 Prius. Again there IS one for the classic (01-03).

So if they are saying there is a TSB or campaign, get a printout of the TSB or campaign, read it over and verify it does apply to YOUR car. Probably has a VIN range on it. For campaign, I believe the dealer notice is the one with the VIN range. The tech notice I don't belive does.

It would be prudent to get the codes they pulled. There IS a TSB (actually several, some superceding others) for a reprogramming regarding "engine does not start" condition on '04/'05 Prius.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really people. When you talk about batteries you should tell us which one. There's the propulsion battery and the accessory battery. Things can and do happen to the accesssory battery too. I have a friend driving an 03 Classic whose accessory battery gave out within the 36,000 warranty period and had to be replaced. It involved waiting for parts and what would have been a $200 replacement charge if it hadn't been under warranty. Yes, that's right. That little ole battery, no bigger nor more expensive than a common motorcyle battery would have cost two bills if it had been out of warranty. Brrrrr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts