Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that the battery in the Prius is a NiMH.

If true, will the Prius battery develop a memory effect when charged like consumer NiMH batteries?

I'd be a bummer if the battery system got less and less efficient over time and then just refused to hold a charge.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Not as much. Also, unlike conventional batteries, it's never fully charged then fully discharged and so on. It's constantly being charged and discharged at the same time. The battery meter that you see on the MFD doesn't give the full range. The restricted state of charge range is 40-80% with 60% being the most preferred

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
NiMH batteries have an almost neglibible memory effect. Older NiCads did. With the ECU protecting the battery from deep charges/discharge cycles, I would expect very little degradation.

I use NiMH in cameras, flashlights, and other devices. I've never noticed memory, only the higher self-discharge rate, which is not relevant for a Prius driven regularly.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I left NiMH batteries alone for about 2 years. They were discharged when I went to use them, as I expected, and I wasn't expecting them to be useable. I charged them up and used them in a digital camera with no noticable ill effects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KTPhil said:
NiMH batteries have an almost neglibible memory effect. Older NiCads did.
Ah - I was thinking about the wrong battery type.

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound like I have anything to worry about ... except how long I have to wait for my new car to show up at the dealer. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts