Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...this is my first post.

I am considering the Prius as my next/commuter car. I have to replace the Ford Ranger soon as the hour commute each way is killing it.

My problem is my mileage/year...I did some figuring and it looks like I will be getting about 30K miles/year...and at that rate, I will be outside the battery warranty in about 3.5 years.

I want the car to last a lot longer than that...will the batteries last longer than the warranty? How much more?

How much will replacement batteries cost (today's costs)?

I would hate to spend a ton of money to "fix" the car even before the car is consdidered "old."

Mikey

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not so much the age that I am worried about, it's the mileage.

As with most if not all rechargable batteries, the more you recharge them, the less they recharge until eventually they are not longer useful units.

Since it's likely that I will do over 100K in 3 years or so, I want to know if the batteries are going to last after 100K miles of recharge/discharge cycles.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reviving old thread:

I have not discounted the Prius yet. I am trying to suck the last little bit of life from my Ranger. Although, it's about to give up the ghost I think.

It's apparent to me that the battery life has not had a chance to reach it's full test potential yet. I would be interesting to see if Toyota or the battery manufacturer put the batteries through a test cycle to determine their lifespan. If so, is such documentation available to the general public?

Additionally, what are we looking at for replacement costs (in today's dollars) if I happen to have a Prius and the batteries wear out outside of the warranty period?

Thx,
Mikey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.