Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi prius fans,

I'm on the verge of ordering a 2006 Prius and I have a question about the battery for the synergy drive. I understand the cost is around $6000 (although I have seen $8000 mentioned in this forum) for a replacement and that it is engineered for 150K miles, and guaranteed for 100K.

What happens at trade in time regarding the "used up" portion of the battery? Say you trade in at 75K, is 1/2 the battery cost that was "used up" factored into the trade in value? In this scenario would your trade in depreciate an additional $3K beyond the addional wear of a non-hybrid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I haven't seen classics valued that way, unless it is hidden in the value of the car. At least Edmunds doesn't seem to penalize for mileage any more than any other car. Therefore I doubt that would be the case for the newer version.
It really is in the mind of the purchaser, whether that be private sale or trade-in.

Besides, its no worse than wear/mileage on an automatic transmission. The Prius transmission is no more complex than a gearbox, yet no gears are shifted.

·
Registered
344 Posts
well, those numbers are way inflated, first of all.

secondly, DanMan's right. it's a component of the car like the transmission. you don't take a hit because you didn't replace the tranny before trading in... they don't put a little odometer on the battery saying once it reaches 150K it's dead, it's likely to work even longer than 150K. it's not something you replace regularly like the tires where you get less if the tires are bald...

don't worry about it too much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts