Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This a update on message titled "Battery fails 2004"

The blow by blow report

We received the car back on Monday that would be the 22 of March and told the battery failed as reported by the computer diagnotics, the car had most likely been driven on a empty tank.

We made it clear that this had never happened in the 17xx mile we've been driving this car.

Now it has happened again, wife (who drives it) just called me. She had driven the usual 24 miles to the city. Stopped at a video store to drop off some DVD's. Came back out to start the car and all the same warning lights came on as happened to her only a week ago. I've haven't been present in either case to see which lights they are. A triangle light I think and the LCD console screen reports not to drive the car. Tank was filled yesterday. She's getting 43.x miles to the gallon.

Just got a call back from the dealer I bought the car from who I brought only now into the picture. He say's they had a similar problem back in the middle of the winter with a 2004 Prius. He's trying to contact his Prius tech. who's off todaly to see what they did to fix it, and will relay the info to the dealer who will be getting the car when it gets towed in any minute here now.

What can I say? I know what I'm thinking is take this one and give me a new one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmmmm.

You know, it sounds to me like the car may simply have a bad sensor. For example, it might *think* it has run out of gas when it really hasn't it. It shuts off the ICE and throws up warnings. Then, because it thinks it is out of gas it refuses to try to start the ICE. My understanding is that this is they way all current fuel-injected vehicles work. You can't really run them ALL the way out of gas, because a sensor shuts the fuel injection off (or something like that) before the fuel-injection system actually pumps all the gas out of the tank and sucks air instead. This is apparently a "very bad thing" for fuel injection systems because running them all the way out of fuel would require dismantling them and priming them with fuel before you could start the car again.

Of course this theory is totally incorrect if you happen to own a Ford Focus, which is actually designed to jettison entire wheels to prevent you from running the injection system dry :)

Try calling "Car Talk", it would be amusing to hear how they deal with the question!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: Hmmmm.

Panjandrum said:
Try calling "Car Talk", it would be amusing to hear how they deal with the question!
I wonder how many thousands of calls they get for every one they have time to put on the air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts