Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much it would be to replace the Hybrid Batteries on the new 04 Prius? I realize that there have not been many replaced yet, but I'm curious about the potential cost if they were to be replaced. Thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Nothing.....they're warrantied for 8 years 100K miles (150K in Califonia).

Now, if you go out and intentionally damage it or do something that voids the warranty then you'd probably be shelling out $4000. Most of us are speculating (i.e. blindly guessing) that post-warranty period for most folks there will be so many Prii and other hybrids using similar batteries that the cost will plummet--maybe $1000-1500?
--evan

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just ask any Toyota dealer in the USA... I'd like to know too :wink: (I'm in France and there's no 2004 Prius available yet).

·
Registered
190 Posts
My experience in the radio control model industry is that nickel metal hydride batteries are more expensive than the nickel cadmium ones found in the older Prius - but I'm all for less expensive batteries since they are described as having a "limited service life" by the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Joel said:
My experience in the radio control model industry is that nickel metal hydride batteries are more expensive than the nickel cadmium ones found in the older Prius - but I'm all for less expensive batteries since they are described as having a "limited service life" by the owner's manual.
All Prius (1997-2000 Japanese, 2001-2003 "classic", 2004+) have had NiMH batteries, which are more environmentally-friendly than the Ni-Cds that you mention.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cost of battery

I checked with a local dealer's parts department the other day. There is a large number of parts involved, and each carries its own price, but the price of the entire assembly was $4200. This seemed to include the battery modules themselves, the case, the control electronics, and about a million fasteners and other widgets.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Afogel, did you specify it was for the 2004 Prius or not ? As there could be a large price difference between the "old" packs and the current ones (mainly because of larger production quantities), it's important to know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts