Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a battery charger peculiar for Prius has been developed? I live in Italy and there are frequent gasoline stations strikes here. I have to commute for a few miles in the city and it would help, with no gasoline, just to go to the office, recaharge the battery and come back home. Where, of course, you recharge during the night just to go back to the office the day after. with today switching technology it shoul not be difficult nor so expensive to manufacture such a device.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Haven't heard of anything less expensive to charge the main batteries with other than the internal combustion engine. Leaving home with a full charge and not using the ICE for recharge you would probably be leaving the car at work with a depleted battery a lot, even if was only a few miles.

I would suggest that you just endeavor to keep your tank full at all times when there is no strike. 12 gallon tank and only a couple of miles of use should keep you out of trouble.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How long do these gasoline station strikes last?
I can go about 500 miles on a tank of gas, that would be over one hundred trips. If you got a five gallon gas can you could go to the gas station just twice a year. ; )

Just kidding! I'm frustrated by the lack a plug-in charger too. I would think that I could charge my HV battery less expensivly, and with less of an environmental impact by hooking up to the house power than by using a gasoline engine.

But, if you are going less than 5 miles and you are at all capable, you ought to be taking a bike.

Roger

·
Registered
319 Posts
It would be nice if the 2014 Prius had a battery like that, just in time for my next purchase...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts