Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a vacation on Big Island, I was finally able to test drive the new Prius.

My local dealer hasn't been able to keep a demo because of demand.

During after drive talk, the saleman mentioned that the air vent for the battery had been moved from the outside to the inside (along side rear passenger seat next to window). He warned to be sure not to block the vent (example was a dry cleaning bag hanging in the back).

What exactly would be the effect of a blocked air vent (especially for a short time)?

Raymond

·
Registered
2 Posts
How easy is it to clean the fan and the filter? I'm not a tech person should I give it a go?
Speaking ONLY to Gen2, watch selection of YouTube presentations on accessing this fan motor. As a retired mechanic, I found it a 3 to 4 hour project (include cleaning the individual fan vanes on the bench). Patience AND marking connectors with masking tape for accurate reinstallation urged. The physical position assumed to access the fan motor is awkward: very taxing for anyone over 5'2" as you're cramped on the rear deck while dismantling shroud panels and removing fasteners. It IS serviceable item no Dealer mechanic wants to perform -- EXCEPT R & R at flat rate! Resist temptation to "just bend this bracket and pull motor out" as it makes clean reinstallation equally awkward lining all fastener points up.

If you carry dogs in rear seat or the deck, vacuum regularly to reduce hair and dust entering the battery fan vent port.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts