Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a Prius as my next car. I do have some concerns as I usually keep my cars for 10 years and put many-many miles on them. My current car is 8 years old with almost 200k in miles. Will the battery last that long? Will I have to replace it and at what cost? Is there an option of extending a warrenty?

·
Registered
623 Posts
mavrickhunter said:
I am interested in buying a Prius as my next car. I do have some concerns as I usually keep my cars for 10 years and put many-many miles on them. My current car is 8 years old with almost 200k in miles. Will the battery last that long? Will I have to replace it and at what cost? Is there an option of extending a warrenty?
The HV battery in the Prius is warranted for 100,000 miles or 8 years. In a few states such as CA, with stricter emissions standards, that warranty may be longer. The battery is very similar to the battery in the Classic, and I have not read or heard of a single failure of the HV battery in a Prius. If you want to find something to worry about, the HV battery is your worst choice. It is extraordinarily reliable. Furthermore, since the Prius does not have a transmission, it eliminates one of the most common big repair items in older cars.

With any car, breakdowns are possible, but Toyotas (along with Hondas) are historically the most reliable of cars.

To answer your question specifically, I think the HV battery, new, costs some few thousands of dollars. (3? 4? 5?). But by the time yours is out of warranty in 8 years from now, or 4 years if you continue to drive 25,000 miles a year, there will be used batteries available in junkyards from Prius that have been in accidents.

I believe the available, and over-priced, extended warranty just extends the warranty on the conventional parts, since the hybrid components already have the extended warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts