Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news: I just got my Prius this past weekend after having been on the wait list since April!

The bad news: I'm going to be on an extended six-week vacation starting next week. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on leaving my Prius (or any car, really) idle for that long? Should I get a friend to come in and take it for a spin once a week or something?

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you can get a friend to start it up and let it run for 10+ min. each week (they don't have to drive it, but you might let them as a reward), that would be ideal. If not, you need to take a few precautions on the 12 V. battery since the alarm system and other small drains might get it to low to "boot up" the car's computers. Either disconnect it (but this disables the alarm), or get a battery tender for it. There have been many posts on this subject. Just search for battery tender. A final option would be to jump start when you return (two 6V lantern batteries can do it). But letting the 12 V. battery drain that far can shorten its life.

The high voltage battery will be fine for 6 weeks (even 6 months) since there are no drains on it when the car is not ready.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check with your local dealer. There is a fuse that you can take out that will let you "store" your car for a lengthened amount of time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts