Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an anomaly using the backup camera in my Aussie 06 Prius.
By selecting reverse and then pressing the EV button the picture from the backup camera is no longer displayed, instead the Energy display is shown.
Unfortunately the reverse beeps still issue forth with reckless abandon.
If the EV is selected prior to going into reverse the MFD behaves normally and displays the camera view.
Would someone comfirm this is an anomaly and not a system fault.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Over here in NA, when you go into EV mode, it switches to the energy screen. That's pretty much how we can confirm that it got there, since we have no indicator on the dash. I suppose they do the same in other markets even though you have the indicator on on the dash.

·
Registered
67 Posts
orf said:
By selecting reverse and then pressing the EV button the picture from the backup camera is no longer displayed, instead the Energy display is shown.
Yep, that´s the way my swedish ´06 behaves too. Can´t really see the problem anyway since the ICE turns off when I put the car in to reverse. No need for the EV button there...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sprett said:
Yep, that´s the way my swedish ´06 behaves too. Can´t really see the problem anyway since the ICE turns off when I put the car in to reverse. No need for the EV button there...
I have found that starting up in the morning causes the ICE to fires up 6 seconds after pressing the Power button. This occurs whether or not I am stationary or backing out of my garage. I put this down to the need to warm up the ICE. This occurs even with the climate control turned off.
If I want to back out in stealth mode, selecting the EV before reverse allows me to silently back out and still have the camera view.
The reason for my initial post was to see if others had a similar behavour or was it just me. Now I see I am not alone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
orf said:
Unfortunately the reverse beeps still issue forth with reckless abandon.
If the EV is selected prior to going into reverse the MFD behaves normally and displays the camera view.
Would someone comfirm this is an anomaly and not a system fault.

Sorry to be stupid, but what is "EV mode?"

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
In every market but North America (US and Canada) they have a button marked EV. This will conditionally put the car in Electric Vehicle mode where the car will drive electrically for short, slow distances. It turns out the HV ECU in NA still has the programming so it was just a matter of applying a momentary ground to pin 27 of one of the HV connectors would put the car in the EV mode. There are several ways to provide a mod that would produce this momentary ground, from purchasing an imported OEM EV switch, adding your own, borrowing from the headlight flash switch, or installing Coastal Dave's mod which if you hold the Cruise Control cancel switch for more than 2 seconds would activate EV.

Sometimes EV mode also means when the car itself decides to drive electrically without using ICE.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To add to DanMan's reply, I have noticed that once the EV is engaged if the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) is required it will start up. When the need for the ICE no longer exists the system automatically reverts back to EV mode.

For example, when nearing home I select EV mode (to run the battery down before parking for the night). I have one corner and one intersection to negotiate before reaching home. After slowing down for the corner and taking that corner the ICE is required to accelerate up a slight rise for about 150 m. I can then coast to the intersection and if I need to stop or put my foot down to clear the intersection , the ICE may fire up again. Then when I lift my foot the car will revert to EV mode all the way into my garage.

In case you wonder why I want to run the battery down before parking for the night, it is because the ICE will start up in the morning to warm itself regardless of the state of the battery. I use this warming period to charge the battery. By placing the charging load on the engine it seems to warm up faster. Hopefully these actions will reduce overall fuel consumption.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
no, once EV disengages, it is disengaged until manually engaged. Your experience was coincidental to the car's desire to use EV, or what we rather call stealth to distinguish from forced EV.

Forced EV can bring the SOC down to 2 bars before disengaging. Stealth rarely does. The lower the SOC, the more likely ICE will be used when not in forced EV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are correct DanMan. I tried it this morning to comfirm that what actually happens and found that once disengaged the EV stayed that way - all that before I read your post.
What must have happened when I first tried this was the ICE came on to warm up the system and not drive the wheels. I had been parked for some considerable time. Or am I wrong on that too?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
ICE will come on 7 seconds after going to READY unless you override by putting it into EV. I don't have any scanners but the system may limit the load on the ICE while it is warming up. ICE would have to provide some force to the wheels, as that is the fixed nature of the PSD, though MG2 could just as well match or surpass the force.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DanMan32 said:
ICE will come on 7 seconds after going to READY unless you override by putting it into EV. I don't have any scanners but the system may limit the load on the ICE while it is warming up. ICE would have to provide some force to the wheels, as that is the fixed nature of the PSD, though MG2 could just as well match or surpass the force.
I have had the Consumption display showing the current fuel bar at 2.5 L/100km while the Energy display shows only the battery driving the wheels. This scenario has happened on several occasions.
To me, this shows that the ICE is consuming fuel but not contrbuting to propelling the car nor charging the battery (the battery is always more than 1/2 full and a/c is off when this condition occurs).
If it is not warming up the system what else could it be doing?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Again, I agree that the primary focus of the computers at the start is to get the ICE warmed up without too much of a load on it since the main goal is clean emissions. However, the ICE is always connected to the wheels, so some force to the wheels will probably come from ICE. The only way that wouldn't happen is if the ring gear was spinning at the same speed as the planetary gear carrier.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
orf said:
I have had the Consumption display showing the current fuel bar at 2.5 L/100km while the Energy display shows only the battery driving the wheels. This scenario has happened on several occasions.
To me, this shows that the ICE is consuming fuel but not contrbuting to propelling the car nor charging the battery (the battery is always more than 1/2 full and a/c is off when this condition occurs).
If it is not warming up the system what else could it be doing?
See: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=7996

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back to the original question - on my UK model, doing anything with the display (eg changing temperature) causes the backup camera to disappear, and the only way to get it back is to switch out of and back into reverse. Rather silly!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
molgrips said:
Back to the original question - on my UK model, doing anything with the display (eg changing temperature) causes the backup camera to disappear, and the only way to get it back is to switch out of and back into reverse. Rather silly!
It is silly because most people would not, or should I say should not, be playing around with other controls when backing. Forcing the camera with reverse selected would prevent people from touching these controls because the results would not be apparent, thus discouraging such action.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.