Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only lights on at night in my 2004 Prius are for the Speedometer and the cluster around it.

The lights for the radio controls, the power button and transmission are not on. Or is it my imagination that they should be on.

I think when they put in lojack 5 days after I had it, they did something to turn off.

I am sure those buttons on my car should be lit. I cannot see anything below the speedometer cluster.

I did not realize this til I tried to udjust the brightness and it did nothing.

The next time you drive at night could you tell me, are these lights on?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
so, with your headlight switch on, and you turn the interior light dimmer wheel, nothing happens? The LCD doesn't dim, the spedometer and odometer don't dim and finally go black?

If the dimmer wheel doesn't work, then it sounds like your dealer forgot to attach something. I've heard of a few rentals and new deliveries where the dimmer wheel wasn't working...

it's too cold to go back outside to check the 2004's interior lights right now, maybe tomorrow when I get home from work...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I use the dimmer wheel nothing happens.

I do remember when I first got the car it did work. The LCD is supposed to dim?

So the wheel did work when I first had it, until they serviced the alarm and did the lojack.

They have had probs with the alarm. Sadly I have been to the dealer 3 separate times to have this fixed. I am not sure if it is bad luck or bad dealer. I am leaning to the latter.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I had the same problem when my car was delivered. Took it back to the dealer and they did some magic to make the dash lights work. No problem since. I didn't ask if it was a fuse or something else.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Same problem. Dealer fixed it in an hour. Turned out to be a loose connection on the dimmer switch itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I think the dimmer is not hook up.

But I think the transmission shifter should be lit with the controls for the radio in the center of the dash. Also the buttons next to the LCD for climate, audio, info and trip are not lit.

Should they be?

·
Registered
610 Posts
All those should be back-lighted. The steering-wheel buttons are also lighted rather dimly. The only buttons left unlighted on my Prius are the "ODO" and "MPH/KPM" just below the MFD.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
All those should be back-lighted. The steering-wheel buttons are also lighted rather dimly. The only buttons left unlighted on my Prius are the "ODO" and "MPH/KPM" just below the MFD.
It annoys me these are not lit, and I find the steering wheel lights are not bright enough.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
just went out to hubby's 2004 BC to check. (should've done it last night when it was only cold out - now it's cold and snowing!)

Anyhow, SE&SS is currently turned off.

unlock with the fob, interior dome light on, light for dash fob slot on.

lock doors using door rocker, all lights go off. had to feel around to put the fob into the dash.

power button now lights up, and I think the Park button lit up.

press brake pedal, press power button, car turns on. Turn on headlight switch.

steering wheel buttons lit, park button still lit (parked), gear shift lit, combination meter lit, buttons around MFD lit, as are the audio-related buttons and the 1-6 CD slots, and the red emergency flasher button.

I played with the dimmer wheel. It has no affect on the steering wheel button lights, or the Park button LED. However, the combination meter (spedometer, odometer, fuel gage, PRNDB...) will go from bright to various levels of dim to completely off/blank. The gear shift joystick, the MFD buttons, and the audio-related buttons, and the emergency flasher button, all also dim to various levels, but never go complely dark (but almost there), unlike the combination meter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts