Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back again. Well, I still browse through here, but don't really have anything to input.

But anyways, Monday I'm renting a Prius from a regional dealer. I spoke to the salesman and told him that I was interested, but I wasn't going to plunk down $28K or so on a car that I'd only been able to drive around the block. I do a lot of driving and if I'm not comfortable in the car, all the gas mileage in the world isn't any good to me.

He said that they sold about 95% of theirs without a test drive, but they do have a Prius for rent. $39.95/24 hours I believe it is. I figure that'll give me a better idea of how I'm going to like the car than a 5 minute test drive will. And if I don't care for it, it'll be much cheaper than spending close to $30K to find that out. The salesman told me that if you buy one, that $40 will come off the purchase price, though I don't know if I should actually believe that. After that, if I still like it, I'll put a deposit down on one.

They don't sell for over MSRP. (I stopped at a dealer in PA when I was there last weekend and they're charging a $2000 markup on the car. No thanks) Originally when I talked to the saleman he told me that it'd be 4-8 months, but when I talked to him on Monday, he said 30-60 days. hmmmm. I'm not looking to buy until the end of the year or beginning of next year as that is when I'll have my finances in place to purchase the car. I could get it sooner, but I don't want to.

Besides, I have to get used to the idea that I'll be giving up my ride as a daily driver. The salesman asked if it was paid for and ran well, which it does, why I'd buy a new car and saddle myself with car payments. Which is one of the things that has held up a purchase for me. I haven't had a car payment in 3 years and I really like it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
At the dealership where I bought my Prius (in CA) they said they would reimburse up to $200 against the rental of one. I rented one for three days and took it on a trip with the family. I needed to do this to verify if the seats would bother my cranky back. The trip went fine and the reimbursment was not a problem. No dealing on the purchase price of the car, MSRP or take a hike.

Jeff

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yarzy said:
Let us know how you like it after 24 hours. Also, where in PA are you?
Will do.

I was in Royersford visiting sick grandparents. I'm back in Michigan now.

Edit: We took in my sister-in-law's father's full size pickup because we had to haul a load of cherry lumber from the farm back. It was an expensive trip on gas alone. Best mileage we got was 18 mpg and fillups were >$50. Filled up 3 times on the way in and twice plus a top off on the way back.

Glad I wasn't paying the gas bill on that trip.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: Hi Christopher...

It is ALWAYS helpful for you to post your LOCATION online. Helps responders know how to answer your comments or questions.

You can go to "Profile" and enter a "Signature" to provide location and other information with every post.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Wow, a car salesman that tried talking you OUT of a car purchase. Now that's a man I would like to deal with, someone who really does look out for your interests as well as his.

Locations don't have to be in signatures. There's a place for location which is displayed under your ID.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I just hadn't gotten around to adding that information. I wasn't sure how much I'd be posting here and hadn't gone to the trouble.

DanMan, yeah, I was pretty impressed. The guy I've been talking to in the past recently quit to start his own auto sales place so I was talking to this guy. He said if I was interested, I could put my name on the list (had to put down a deposit) and then when my car came in, which would be a month or two, I wouldn't have to wait for the car. If I decided I wanted to keep driving my current car, they'd refund my money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Wow, a car salesman that tried talking you OUT of a car purchase. Now that's a man I would like to deal with, someone who really does look out for your interests as well as his.
Not to be too cynical, but as a sales guy this is a case of qualifying the sale - when you have a waiting list for a product, you need to make sure that the buyer is qualified both in intent and budget. Not to take anything away from the salesman, he sounds like a professional and I'd rather do business with a competent salesman like him any day than a clueless greed bag.

Cheers,
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts