Toyota Prius Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
I saw a claim that between about 10-20mph, B mode increases regen. It was cited as one of the tricks used by the Japanese hyper-MPG jockeys. I have used it during slow-n-go freeway driving to give my right calf a rest, but it apparently can increase mileage during those specific speeds.

Astrowoman said:
My rule of thumb is that if I am tempted to ride the brakes on an extended downhill, I go to "B".
I think you DO want to ride the brakes (slightly) on an extended downhill to take advantage of the regen (unless the battery is already full). If you don't press too hard, you won't even engage the actual brakes. At least that's my understanding.

jeepian said:
I would note that while descending a hill, it is only AFTER the battery is full that you actually need B mode at all, in order to save your brakes. Until then, you're on regen braking, so using B mode is not saving your brake pads.
This is my understanding. I have only used B mode once, when I was going down a long extended hill and I saw 8 green bars for the first time.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.