Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
If you arrive late, you end up standing in line.

Looks like the store will be closed by the time GM arrives.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Spike said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/09/20/bc.autos.summit.ford.hybrids.reut/index.html
All this says is Ford is selling as many Escape/Mariner hybrids as it can produce. And it wants to produce more.

I bet Toyota wishes the Highlander had the same problem. :)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Ford has their specifications for planatery gear sets and batteries. The goal is to find a supplier who can make them to spec, both in terms of function, but also reliability. Ford needs to find a domestic supplier, or a supplier who is not necessarily associated with Toyota or Honda. There is an inherant conflict of interest when you get very specific parts of suppliers who are dominated or owned by your competition.

So, Ford either needs to make the parts itself, or it needs to find a domestic supplier for the parts.

Ford will make it happen, they have a winner with the Escape hybrid and will with others they put out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: Haven't owned a FORD since my first car - 1931 Model A 2-door sedan (Well-used bought in 1948). Now there was a fuel efficient car, simple to work on and fun to drive.

We U.S. taxpayers must HOPE that the original U.S. auto manufactures find ways to stay in business. What with their thousands of factory employees, a complete failure would probably trigger a Federal "bailout" as in Chrysler some years back with our tax money. Should U.S. manufacturers succeed in getting a significant import penalty, we will probably see an increase of foreign-owned/controlled manufacturing facilities in the U.S. - such as Toyota in Kansas, Texas, etc.

Too bad they all ignored the need of fuel-efficient autos 10 years ago and focused on SUV's and such. Even now, the TV ads emphasize H.O.R.S.E.P.O.W.E.R.!! Almost like saying "Real men don't drive fuel-efficient cars!"

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The Govt got every dime back they invested in Chrysler, and Ford and GM made the SUV's to supply the demand of the American buyer, as did Toyota and every other foreign car manufacturer. Give us $1.50 a gallon gasoline again and the market would continue to expand.
The majority of the American driving public don't really want to be forced into an mid-sized economy car.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Hyperion has a good point. Given emotion and lack of logic, I would like a larger vehicle, probably not an SUV but a large sedan. However logic, frugality and my tech desires won out this time around. I'm very pleased with the outcome of owning a Prius. In most areas it has far exceeded my expectations.

The loss of any of the big 3 would have huge economical implications to the economy. I don't want to see a bailout of any of the automakers, however the 3 of them have been caught with their pants down. The fuel prices went out of hand faster than they could think of new designs and better ways. You can thank Bill Ford, who I consider the most forward thinking of American auto managers, for having the hybrid Escape in development before the prices went up. One model is not enough, but it is better than nothing and certainly speaks to their future intentions with other models.

From strictly a marketing standpoint I figure that Ford would be best served if they started working on hybridizing their full size pickup line. If they were to do that they would seal up pickup supramacy for many years to come and have the best FE marks of any of the manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Given emotion and lack of
From strictly a marketing standpoint I figure that Ford would be best served if they started working on hybridizing their full size pickup line. If they were to do that they would seal up pickup supramacy for many years to come and have the best FE marks of any of the manufacturers.[/quote]

Yes, Toyota will beat Ford again to the supremacy of Hybridizing the
Toyota full size trucks !

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, the gov't has tried to level the playing field by giving 60K hybrid vehicles from each manufacturer a credit, and they have about 3 years to do it. This may give the american mfrs a chance to catch up, if the public decides their cars are worth it.

We'll see how it all plays out in a year when Toyota purchases no longer qualify for the credit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all, Chrysler isn't "American" anymore.

I would have bought without the incentive, I would guess most people would.

KT Phil -- I like that statement

Johnny cat -- Is the escape doing that well? I actually don't know. I know I see one in the parking lot at work. I wish I didn't have serious concerns about Ford/US quality, I would buy one. Great size, fairly fun to drive (at least the gas version). The Highlander around here has a wait list, I asked at my local dealers (3), when I was shopping for my Sienna. But I don't guess it will do as well, I don't think the Highlander does that well as a whole (?). I know we looked at it, only because it was availible as a hybrid & had a 3rd row, and just decided it was ugly; more like a boxy tall wagon. But without the conveniences of the Sienna.

I wouldn't blink to see the major 2 go under, the jobs will be picked up elsewhere. I mean first let's say, really, it isn't going to happen anytime soon, but if it did, I wouldn't blink. Roughly the same number of cars are going to be bought in the US, so there will still be the need for most of the people, they would just work for different companies then they do now.

Hyperion -- yes Chrysler repaid the bail out/loan. If memory serves they paid it off early?? But still they needed it and it was a risky deal for the government. There was a reason they couldn't get the money thru normal channels. No one wanted the risk. But, yes, in the end it worked out. I don't think they concentrated on the big SUV market just because the market was exploding. I think Ford and GM, basically walked away from the mid and small car market because they were getting their a%$s handed to them in those markets. They simply couldn't compete, and they knew it. So they walked away. The large vehicle market had very little competition from Japan, so they reigned supreme (still do). That is slowly changing as Toyota and Honda and even Nissan enter that area and get better at developing those vehicles (with some misteps to be sure). Although personally, I think that market is a little more resistant overall to buying Japanese.

& yes GM has a Hybrid pickup. But I don't think it is doing well. One of the car mags speculated that it will be discontinued or reworked, because of low market response. You can say they dominate though, since they are the only one.
I don't think Toyota will emulate GM in this area, they are going to work to kick GM out.

gotta run,
Spike

·
Registered
163 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Well, the gov't has tried to level the playing field by giving 60K hybrid vehicles from each manufacturer a credit, and they have about 3 years to do it. This may give the american mfrs a chance to catch up, if the public decides their cars are worth it.

We'll see how it all plays out in a year when Toyota purchases no longer qualify for the credit.
I hadn't looked at it that way. My personal opinion is that it should be all or nothing. In the long run, less consumption is better for the country than auto sales #s.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Glad top hear Ricky that Toyota is finally going to emulate GM's present dominance in the hybrid pick-up truck market."

I think Toyota will do much better than to emulate that pseudo-hybrid approach GM took.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Spike, we are most certainly of a different generation. You claim a lot that I disagree with. The govt does a lot more bailing out than with just the car industry. Chrysler's (then a U.S. only company) did not cost the govt one dime and saved thousands of American jobs. At the same time Reagans administration bailed out the banking industry at the cost of billions to the economy which to this day has never been replaced.
So there are good programs, and "not so good."
As far as the large sedans now appearing from the orient, in my eyes are just overgrown mid-size economy cars which are still built in the same vein as the mid-size sedans without the bulk and quaility I have gotten used to with General motors, Ford and Chrysler. Lighter guage steel in the bodies along with to me appears to be "stamped out" interiors. Stamped out door hinges instead of cast ect:
The Lexas sedan is the only exception to this I have found but not the Lexas SUV owned by a neighbor. There, I believe the construction is "shoddy" The Integrity and Accura are fine cars but buiilt on the same mode as the Camry. Sufficient, but still with that "stamped" look. (in my opinion)
I'm afraid over the past sixty years I've gotten used to the heft and quaility in the US market and have only found it duplicated in Mercedes (at triple the price) Jaguar and Rolls (quaility but not substance)
The orient for some reliability but their trucks (single walled pick-up beds, "go for a plastic liner") thin guage metal throughout.
I have just noted a subtle change starting to occur in the world and maybe it is related to increased shipping costs. Foreign factories being constructed in the U.S. TV's being made here
The last underwear I purchased being "made in Canada" rather than China and the Caribbean
If the price of gas remains high we may just see more hybrids. If the politicians in a vote seeking mood insist on subsidizing the oil industry to get the cost of the product down for power and industry and the home owner then adios hybrid until the cost of them can be drastically reduced.
I've enjoyed the technology in my Prius and certainly think it is the way to go. I miss the comfort and handling of my mini-van and after owning a van for sixteen years and seeking something different if the price of fuel ever drops below two dollars a gallon for whatever reason I will probably pick up one of those great SUV buys for the comfort, visibility, and practical use in our New England winters with the increase in snow accumulations over the past few winters.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Where you see "heft and quaility" I see flab and old school manufacturing methods. In the eye of the beholder, I guess...

·
Registered
548 Posts
KTPhil said:
Where you see "heft and quaility" I see flab and old school manufacturing methods. In the eye of the beholder, I guess...
Go find a Jetta or a Passat and close the door hard. It goes "thunk".

Do the same on the Prius, and it almost sounds apologetic. You shouldn't feel like you can break your car door when you close it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts