Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being cold as it is in PA I decided to use the automatic car wash, at least on a monthly basis during the winter months. The first two times through the car wash were uneventful and had my Prius shining. The third time (this past Saturday) was a nightmare - as the equipment ripped the rear window wiper off of the car. :cry:

BEWARE - even the "touchless" carwashes have brushes that touch the car (as they spin) and are capable of ripping the rear wiper off. I don't know how it made it through the first two times but third time was the charm.

Needless to say I will never take my Prius through another automatic car wash again. The rear wiper is positioned for trouble and waiting to be torn away.

Of course the car wash is not responsible for the damage (signs are posted everywhere) and Toyota cannot just replace the small piece that broke. Instead I have to have a whole new wiper arm installed. :x

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Behmon, have them duct-tape the wiper arm in future. This has always worked on my '91 NAPA Exploder. Of course I've never had that problem with my '02 Classic!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Henry said:
Behmon, have them duct-tape the wiper arm in future. This has always worked on my '91 NAPA Exploder. Of course I've never had that problem with my '02 Classic!
Henry,

If I ever do use an automatic car wash again I will remove the rear wiper arm before-hand (it is attached with a spring). However, it will be quite some time before I go that route again.

:wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
How to remove rear wiper?

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the rear wiper on the 05. Can't seem the find the info by searching here, even though I seem to remember reading a post about it once.

Anyway, what kind of touchless car wash are you using? I've never been in a single touchless car wash that did anything except spray water, soap, etc. I don't ever use any car wash that isn't completely touchless. I mean, if a brush touches your car, it isn't touchless, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts