Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 4.8 yr-old 2001 Prius (58,000 miles) with what appears to be a dead 12V battery. It has been getting progressively weaker & is now dead. We want to replace it, but can't find a listing for a replacement battery either at PepBoys or CostCo.

Do we have to buy this battery directly from a dealer or is there a different source or model?

Also, do you know if this battery has a warranty, and if so for how long?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Christina

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There is information out there on on making a modification and using a Miata vented battery. But there is no third party supplied direct replacement that I am aware of.

The criteria is:
Electrical:
12V of course. Well, actually 13.8V
At least 38AH capacity.

Physical:
Small enough to fit in the compartment
Right post sizes
Sealed, otherwise nasty acid could corrode your hatch area.
Vent tube to the outside so if any hydrogen gas is released, it doesn't accumulate inside the car.

·
Registered
582 Posts
12 v battery

Michelle and Dan have got you covered. I can only do a few more details. The original battery has 28 amp-hour capacity, and the Miata-style replacement is 31. It differs primarily by having larger connetion posts. One can remedy this by changing the connectors, or by hacking away at the posts.

Some people have considered doing away with the vent tube entirely, which opens up many more (and cheaper) alternative batteries. What this means is you lose protection against a low-probability, moderate to high risk event. Hydrogen gas release through the vent tube (or by battery case bursting!) is not routine in Prius. It would only happen if the battery developed a shorted cell, or if Prius voltage regulation failed and it presented substantially more than 14.5 volts to the battery.

The new model Prius battery is similar. SLA vented, a few more amp hours, but with the connecting posts reversed.

DAS

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't risk going without a vent tube on the battery. When most batteries charge they do give off hydrogen gas, & with the high voltage relays click'g on & off (& spark'g?) during power up & power down only about 2 feet at max away from a ventless battery, I wouldn't take the chance of an explosion.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: 12 v battery

tochatihu said:
Michelle and Dan have got you covered. I can only do a few more details. The original battery has 28 amp-hour capacity, and the Miata-style replacement is 31. It differs primarily by having larger connetion posts. One can remedy this by changing the connectors, or by hacking away at the posts.

The new model Prius battery is similar. SLA vented, a few more amp hours, but with the connecting posts reversed.

DAS
I was wondering if you could replace the original battery with something like a Powersonic PS-12280 battery. It is a non-vented sealed lead acid battery. You would somehow have to modify the mounting arrangement, but it costs a lot less than getting one from Toyota. I'm not sure how much that Miata battery costs, but it should probably be less than that too.

I'm not sure about the venting arrangement with any non-Toyota-approved battery, but as Ct. Ken V said, that would be an important consideration.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Several other cars have batteries in the interior and I have heard of quite a few owners going to the 12 volt gel batteries with some success. They are sealed and emit zero fumes. But then again, Toyota has installed a battery with different size posts so you are sort of chained "to the beast" somewhat. It's going tro be costly but I would stick with The OEM and hope you don't have to wait for one to be shipped from Japan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
most non-hybrid type batteries are expected to fail every couple of years. they come with very short warranties just to cover problems that surface right away. some of the more expensive ones come with a warranty because of the original cost being so high. (what i have in mind here is optima batteries)

as far as a replacement, you've gotten some solid advice already. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
12v battery price

The Toyota 12v batttery is referred to as "expensive." Does anyone have an actual $$ price....?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another incredible detail is that Toyota has a specific battery charger for the Prius auxillary battery. It is part #00002-YA122-01. I'm wondering if anybody knows what specifications makes this charger so specific to the Prius battery, or if it is just a Toyota trick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
12volt battery

$200 -$300 is that fact or urban myth? Any one buy one?
If that is not urban myth, I'd check Sears, there must me a battery auto or garden tractor battery in their line-up that will fit Changing clamps is a lot cheaper than staying Toyota if they are 2-3 hundred USD. The battery being in the rear trunk on the 2001 should add to the life, not being exposed to the engine and summer road heat. I haven’t heard of anyone having to replace a battery.

My wife’s 1994 Olds Aurora has the battery under the rear seat, has the original battery well over 10 years old. The tempered interior of the vehicle extend battery life. For having 70,000 miles the big Norstar V8 gets 30 MPG on the highway-making it competitive to my hybrid and a lot more comfortable on the highway. So it see the open road the Prius "MarvMobile" stays in the city and local runs.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
'My wife’s 1994 Olds Aurora has the battery under the rear seat, has the original battery well over 10 years old. The tempered interior of the vehicle extend battery life."

Just like the old VWs... except those had a seat spring that could short on the positive battery post if you overloaded the seat.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, Gene,

I really like your HYBRID "Ready Killowatt" avatar. I would like to see your avatar on a small window sticker or a larger bumper sticker. Have you seen anything like it available anywhere in either form? I'm not much of a sticker fan, but I certainly wouldn't mind putting that on my Prius. It's just too cute!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
To both Gene & tochatihu,

tochatihu: I did check all 3 of the ebay images you sent me to. Nice, but I really like Gene's HYBRID version (with the fuel nozzle & battery & in vibrant color). Thanks very much for noticing my post & being so helpful.

Gene: Just where or how did you find/create the EXACT image in your avatar? I am really interested in a small, square, full-color, window-type sticker (or even a small magnet for somewhere on the side of the car) or a regular bumper sticker (maybe with some creative HYBRID comment beside it) with your EXACT full-color image. Maybe if such items don't already exist, somebody will produce them soon ( & let me know about it).

Thanks, everybody, for letting me hijack this thread a little. Maybe some all-seeing sages such as Michelle(mrv) or DanMan can help. Anyone?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I checked out the link for the classic battery and have just a few comments. I have a Cadillac Allante which has a vented battery because it is located in a compartment in the trunk of the car. When the original Delco's became somewhat scarce and an orderable only item, we at first went to the sealed Gell. (mainly the optima) Then one of them exploaded and upon further investigation and with blow-up (excuse the expression) diagrams of the batteries it was found that they are all built with blow-out plugs in case of that "rare" overcharging which is mentioned in the classic Prius battery kit change.
Now the ad for the classic battery kit mentions that the price varies from Toyota dealers for the classic battery from $138 to $174. The sealed unit shown with the changeover kit comes in for sale at $85 and then installs with a $25 kit. You might save $25 and have a little better battery but unless you are "eating up batteries" at a large rate I don't believe the "hassel" is worth it. I'de love to see what price Rickeys parts dept gets for an 04 prius battery. I've only seen prices "guessed at that differ as much as $80. (and I've never remembered at oil change visits to my dealer to inquire at the parts dept.)

·
Registered
582 Posts
battery

I just (finally) noticed that the WestCo/MK battery that Elearnaid is reselling is fully sealed. Whereas the MK (Miata) battery that Dave Dorrance etc. used is tube-vented.

AFAIK, all "sealed" batteries contain a recombiner catalyst for the electrolyzed gases. If they didn't, it would quickly dry out and the water could not be replaced.

I replaced my 2001 Prius OE battery, and played with the takeout on the bench. Charging it up to 14.5 v released no gas from the vent tube, even though I could hear it bubbling inside. The recombiner was working.

I suppose that gas evolution is not a problem until the combiner gets overwhelmed. Normally this would not happen. With a shorted cell or failure of voltage regulation, it might happen. Then, if the out-gassing gets excessive, *any* PbA battery will leak. Through a vent tube if equipped; though the weakest part of the battery case, if not.

DAS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.