Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all over the place that the only possible way to add an AUX input to the Prius is to disable to CD-Changer. Why can't an AUX be added where the cassette port is? Or better yet, why can't it be added where satellite radio port? I don't know why its such a technical endeavor to simply unplug the wire connecting the tape deck to the amp and replace it with an AUX cable.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
They are not separate pieces, that's why. The 'sattelite port' is an options port also used for an external CD changer.

The problem comes from AVC, the network that controls the AV. Through this network, devices such as the MFD, Gateway (to communicate with the other 2 networks), header, amp, and NAV for the US model, other countries have other/additional devices. Even within an ECU, mutiple device ids may be addressed, such as the header having AM, FM, CD or CD Changer, and possibly tape. There's actually 2 IDs for CD, CD1 and CD2, the latter often used for the changer. XM and Sirius satellite have their own IDs each.

The problem comes with ID conflict. Most commercial aux boxes use the same ID as a CD Changer. I agree, it would have been better if the ID was selectable to a device that you don't have; if you have a changer but not XM, use XM. If you have changer and XM, use Sirius. However, they chose to be more generic and use only one of the Toyota's available IDs. Remember, a valid ID that the MFD/header recognizes has to be used so that you can select the device. Unknown IDs would never be addressed as the MFD/header would not know what to do with it.

Coastal has made his AV box use Sat 2 and Sat3 to select one of the 2 AV channels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think coastal will make his upcoming AUX input apply to an ID other than the CD changer?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The problem comes with ID conflict. Most commercial aux boxes use the same ID as a CD Changer. I agree, it would have been better if the ID was selectable to a device that you don't have; if you have a changer but not XM, use XM.
So design an in-line ID-converter. Should be a simple thing :) Look for ID x, change to y... Pass thru all other signals.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I would be confident that Coastal's aux in would be sure to work. He'd be sure there were no ID conflicts. He understands the Prius AVC, or else he would not have been able to come up with the NAV disclaimer screen killer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts