Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a moot point considering I have my new Prius, but I was told at purchase that installing an automatic start is not possible. I'm assuming it's because of the hybrid engine, the brake/push button start, or security reasons. Anyone know the specifics?

·
Registered
928 Posts
By "automatic start," you mean something that will start your car for you while you're still in the house, right?

It probably just means nobody has a kit to do it. Most likely because they don't see a big enough market. You would need to leave a key in the car for it to work though.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The market is growing in snowy areas--can warm and defrost car for a 10 minute (then automatic start shuts down) before you enter it. Really handy. I can see why Prius key wouldn't allow for this system--still we loved it in our other cars.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Remote Start feature

RSnyder said:
By "automatic start," you mean something that will start your car for you while you're still in the house, right?

It probably just means nobody has a kit to do it. Most likely because they don't see a big enough market. You would need to leave a key in the car for it to work though.
The New generation of Toyota-Lexus vehicles are coming with similar
"Push Botton" start feature a-la Prius. The 05 Newly re-designed Avalon
has a feature that is called _Remote-Controlled vehicle start system. It
works from as far as 80 feet away. suppose you are in the kitchen and is located with-in 80 feet of distance then you are able to remote start the vehicle and have a head start having vehicle been warmed up while you are sipping cofee !

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Run the ICE for 20 minutes so the seat won't feel so cold when you get in...
It's going to take $20/gal gas to change many of us, isn't it. :(

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well, unless it's downright frigid or you left the car in the garage for a few days without running, heat should be supplied soon after the car is started and probably faster than a regular small 4 cylinder engine

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Tideland, I agree the Prius will warm up much quicker, so that's a real plus. In every other way, we're excited Prius owners! Around here, I've only seen 3 in a month's time.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
We had a thread here or on PriusChat that discussed remote start. I believe the problematic issue was the immobilizer, but then the remote start could have its own RFID programmed in, and through an antenna wrapped around the keyslot, submit the code. It could be designed to emulate pressing the brake via the start wire and a relay, or it also was suggested that remote start systems had a glow plug output for disels.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Dan, I'd assumed it was some complicated engineering issue and as a new owner, took my dealer's word that auto start wasn't available. (I don't care two hoots about a warmed seat, but for short commutes a defrosted, de-iced window while feeding the dogs inside was great.) Anyway, the Prius is fabulous in so many important ways--I'm very excited to own one. But what's with Salsa Red? I wanted a REAL red so chose the cool blue instead.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I still can't figure out why it's legal to put a remote starter in a car in MA, since it goes against 2 anti-idling laws here. (1 where you can't idle a vehicle for more than 5 minutes, and another about leaving a running car unattended...)

For whatever reason the remote starters seem to be a big thing around here. odd, since a car will warm up faster when a load is applied (when driven) than just sitting in the driveway...

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you live in the northern plains or Canadian praires like I do, the remote starters are a god send, when it is minus 40 C or F gas mileage becomes kinda a moot point. Just about everyone has one on vehicles, great for if you can`t plug your car in at work, some have a start range of over a 1000 feet now. One thing I especially like is being able to have my electric seat warmer come on with the remote start.....clear windows and a warm butt, what else could want on a cold windy -50C Saskatchewan morning?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts