Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Quick question. Were the automatic headlights available as an option? I had that feature on my last car, and although they mention it in the manual, I don't see it as part of any option package.

·
Registered
149 Posts
headlites...

auto headlites are only part of the package in Canada and with the regular headlites (not sure what to call these...incandescent?). No US option has this. And the HID (high intensity discharge) headlites do not have an auto feature anywhere. But...if u leave the lights in the 'on' position (even fogs if u have them), when u power off, they turn off upon opening the driver's door! Pretty cool. Then when u power back up, they come on again, as long as u leave the switch in the on position. This is for all Prius. Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Canadian Prius have daytime running lights (DRLs). US Prius do not. (it's either a manual misprint, or both markets share an owner's manual...)

North American Prius do not have auto-on headlights, which is what I think you're thinking of (lights turn on when it's dark outside).

North American Prius do have auto-off headlights, aka "Poor Man's DRLs".
Turn on the headlight switch. Turn off the car. Open the driver's door, the headlights go out. Turn the car back on, the lights come back on. Only problem is if you exit via another door or window, rather than opening the driver's door - the lights stay on... If the car is off and then you turn on the lights and open the door, I think the lights also stay on. So, it's turn on the lights while the car is on, turn off the car, open the driver's door, and the lights automatically go out for you, and turn back on when you next start the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I, too, was interested in the daytime running lights which I believe the 2003 Prious had. I did ask a dealer about it. You are right. They are required in Canada-- and hence, the Canadien 2004 Prius has DRL. However, they eat up your stored energy in your battery. Therefore, if you do not need DRL, the wisdom was, don't use the battery for them during the day.

When I first received the car, I was also told to 1) TURN OFF the light in the truck. (It came to me in the "on" position.) Our mantra is: Minimize the drain on your battery! 2) Turn off the overhead light so that it , too, does NOT go onto automotiive mode when you leave the car. 3) I just found another light to turn to the "off" position: the light underneath your sun visor-- on each side. (I just realized that I have not turned to "off" the light on the passenger side visor.) When you open the mirror, the light "automatically" goes on. Turn it to "off." Most of the time we never need it -- or never look in the mirror anyway.

I think that many of these lights in the "on" mode-- even when they are not being used-- might drain the battery.

Also, I have always started my 17 1/2 year old Toyota mini-van truck with all "appliances" in the "OFF" position. It is kinder on the battery. So, I do the same thing for the Prius: I do not turn on the air conditioning until the car is up and running. Less strain on the battery start-up.

By the way-- I get good mileage. But I have to work at it and "squeeze every bit out. I LOVE THE PRIUS!!!!

Karen Ann

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think the terms "Automatic Headlights" and "Daytime Running Lights" are the same. On my '04 I cannot forget and leave my headlights on when I turn off the engine and walk away. They go off automatically and go on automatically when I start up again. 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
mrv said:
Canadian Prius have daytime running lights (DRLs). US Prius do not. (it's either a manual misprint, or both markets share an owner's manual...)
Yes, I believe US and Canadian owners receive the same Prius user manual.

mrv said:
North American Prius do not have auto-on headlights, which is what I think you're thinking of (lights turn on when it's dark outside).
My '04 Prius (Canadian model "B") has an "Auto" option on the headlight control stalk. When in auto mode, the headlights come on whenever it is dark. There is a light sensor in the left front corner of the dash, near the base of the windshield. The lights come on automatically at night or any time I enter my garage or a tunnel. I haven't manually turned the head/tail lights on or off in months. The lights turn off automatically when I open the driver's door to exit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts