Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the lights have an automatic off. Is there supposed to be an automatic on sensor? I was expecting my prius's lights to turn on.. but as i look in the book, and at my steering column, i see that my car does not have the auto option. Was it, or was it not included in the 2004s? BTW, my car is a 9.

Even if the lights do turn off automaticaly, what's the point of having everything inside dimmed during the day because your headlights are still on. I guess auto off is simply a battery saver. Wish mine had auto on too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you leave the lights on when you turn off the car, they will turn back on when you start the car. And you can adjust the dimming of the panel so that it's bright enough during the day by turning the little wheel on the front panel to the left of the steering column.

·
Registered
215 Posts
woodworks said:
If you leave the lights on when you turn off the car, they will turn back on when you start the car. And you can adjust the dimming of the panel so that it's bright enough during the day by turning the little wheel on the front panel to the left of the steering column.
I was about to reply with the exact same thing. I always drive with my fogs and headlamps on. At night I turn that wheel down literally JUST ENOUGH that you can feel a bit of a click. That keeps everything on the brightest DIM setting. (I don't really understand why, but you can actually turn the speedometer digital display COMPLETELY OFF :shock: ) When you go somewhere the next morning, just "click" the wheel back up to the highest setting and you're all set...
I wish there was a way to do what you're mentioning, but hey... 2 extra seconds and a turn of a wheel... not bad considering... :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My mom's Lexus has this Auto setting for the headlights. If it gets dark enough, say in an underground parking structure or a tunnel, the headlights will come on after a few seconds. Once back in the daylight, they'll turn off. The Prius owner's manual does include this, but it must've been left off the final version for one reason or another. There are spots on the dash for the sensor, although I doubt the sensors are actually there. If they are, then it looks another modification project for someone. :)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
fog lamps

I've been warned by a dealer that running fog lamps when it's not foggy out could be a ticketable offense. (I think this was my husband's Saturn dealer in ME.) Any reason to run the fog lamps when it's not foggy out (the 2004 HIDs are too bright as it is, always getting flashed by people for them).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in CAlifornia.. Running fog lights durring the day or night is illegel, if they are actual fog lights. These lights are just lower running lights.

I find that leaving the fog lights on keeps people from flashing me. Most people know that if your fog lights are on, your dims are on. Fogs turn off when your brights are on.

Fog lights are easiest seen on the older Mercedes.. the yellow lights in the center. They point straight. If you see someone with them on.. you will know they are fogs. The fogs on the Prius point down, not forward. So, they don't blind anyone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Somebody mind quoting chapter and verse in the California motor vehicle code where it says running your fog lamps is illegal?

There are lights that are illegal: fog lights, driving lights and other accessory lights often refered to as off-road driving lights. The basis of illegality can be not being DOT approved-for-highway-use equipment or for other reasons related to mounting height etc.

Lots of vehicles come equipped with fog lights. They are not illegal to use. Legal accessory fog lights are not illegal to use if installed properly.

The motor vehicle code is prescriptive in certain areas. In some instances it says that a vehicle must be equipped with certain devices. In some of these instances it will actually spell out under what circumstances those devices must be used. For example, due to case law, the motor vehicle code now tells you not only that your vehicle must be equipped with adequate windshield wipers but under what conditions they MUST BE USED. Should a motorist choose to run their wipers when they are not needed, it is not a violation of the law. Similarly, you are not in violation for running legal fog lights when there is no fog. (Got a celiometer to measure fog density?) Consider the prescription for headlights: The law spells out a minimum criteria based on sunrise and sunset but other conditions could exist that require you to use them to be legal.

Anyway, I'd be interested in the chapter and verse quote of the California motor vehicle code that says fog lights are illegal.

There is a thingy called a briight box that can allow both high and low beams to operate at the same time. It produces much improved visibility for the user but I wouldn't want to see what happened if I shined it in the face of a CHP.

:D Pat :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
V8Cobrakid said:
I know the lights have an automatic off. Is there supposed to be an automatic on sensor?
You mentioned package 9, which means you have HID headlights. I think the auto headlight feature is with the halogen headlights. Can anyone who has halogen headlights confirm that they have and extra switch setting on the headlight switch (off, tail, on, auto).

The auto is different than just the lights turning off when you turn off the car. There is a sensor and they only come on when it is dark.

Dave

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have a #9, and my HID headlights can be best described as "auto off only when you shut off the car".

If I leave the headlight control set to "on", then they will be on when the car is on, and off when the car is off.

Just to clear this up:

They are not "light-sensing."
They are not "smart headlights."
They are not "fully automatic."

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey BIF, make that two coats of wax! (ref "Back to the Future") Sorry couldn't resist. Anyway I think of my package #9 as having automatic headlights. If switched on, i.e. enabled, they come on when you "boot" the car and they turn off when you "shut down." I don't use that feature as with daytime running lights this isn't a totally super-useful feature but at least you can't accidently leave the lights on and flat a battery.

Do you (or other HID headlight users) seem to have an inordinate number of folks flashing their high beams at you because your low beams are so bright as to "fool" folks?

We really love our HID's as they illuminate the sides of the road so good and there is a good sharp cutoff at the top of the beam to help avoid blinding the oncomming traffic. Really much better visibility than with previous cars. It rivals the days of old when I had Lucas "Flame Throwers" on my '59 MG-A.

Patrick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since the hole is present on the dash for the sensor, does anyone know if the parts are available (through Toyota) to make American cars have auto headlights as their Canadian cousins do? I had these on my Avalon and loved it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts