Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2004 HCH, manual transmission, which now has ca. 1400 miles on it. It works great, handles beautifully, gets superb mileage in largely short-distance driving. The IMA, regenerative braking, and Auto-stop work nicely.

But...

Beginning at about 500 miles, a problem arose with the auto-stop. Occasionally, and by now nearly a third of the time, when I'm stopped, standing in neutral and/or with the clutch pedal depressed, and the auto-stop has kicked in, the engine does not always start up when I shift back into gear. It's as if the engine has stalled. This is, of course, a bit annoying to say the least when cars behind you in traffic expect you to pull forward! I've found that occasionally the engine will start if I depress the accelerator, or release the clutch with the car in gear, or both, whereupon the car then lurches forward. But this doesn't always work and I have to use the ignition restart. I have the sense that this happens more often when I'm on an incline, but I really haven't determined that definitively.

I finally took it to the Honda dealer, where the technician took a ride with me to see exactly what was happening. The Perversity Principle being what it is, the car displayed no problems while the tech was with me. Nonetheless, they put it through the computer diagnostics and, not surprisingly, found no problems. They suggested I bring it back in when it happens again. I pointed out that the problem arises sporadically and unpredictably, so even if I could run back there arbitrarily, they still might not see it. They had nothing to suggest, clearly a limitation of relying only on computer diagnostics and not going in and probing around.

Perversity Principle example number 2: it happened four times on the drive back from the dealer!

Does anyone have any insight (no pun intended!) on what might be the problem and what to do about it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I believe your problem may have to do with whether or not the clutch is completely depressed to the floor but not really sure. I have a a 2003 Civic Hybrid with the CVT and have never driven one with the manual. Your best bet for information on the Hybrid Civic is at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/civic_hybrid/ .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
auto-stop problem

I checked the Yahoo group and found discussion of related topics that suggests that you are correct. The problem in my case is that you have to keep the clutch pressed firmly against the floor for the auto-stop to disengage consistently. Even a slight let-up of the clutch pedal, which still allows gearshifting, is enough to trigger the problem. Sounds like a clutch adjustment is necessary. Thanks for the advice. Funny that the Honda tech didn't seem to know about this.

pete said:
I believe your problem may have to do with whether or not the clutch is completely depressed to the floor but not really sure. I have a a 2003 Civic Hybrid with the CVT and have never driven one with the manual. Your best bet for information on the Hybrid Civic is at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/civic_hybrid/ .

G

·
0 Posts
Auto Stop problem

I also have a Honda Civic Hybrid manual transmission since June2002 . I too ran into this problem and brought it to the dealer to get it fix . They found the driver side floor mat creeped foward and interfeared with the clutch pedal. The floor mat has two holes in it but nothing to hold it back. Every once in a while pull back on the floor mat so it does not touch the clutch pedal. I hope this helps. Oh the gas mileage is 30 and rises after a while. I currently get 40-42 city.

G

·
0 Posts
auto-stop

I bought my 2003 Civic hybrid almost a year ago - it's manual transmition - and I too have had issues with the auto stop - BUT these other postings are correct. I wasn't flooring the clutch. Once I started to, it was fine. Then about a month ago - it started happenind again. I realized that the winter floor mat had crept up and was keeping the clutch from being completely floored. Once I moved the mat back, it's been fine.

So - check the mat and concentrate on flooring the clutch. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for these tips. I'll look into it. So far things seem to be working as long as the clutch is fully depressed. We, too, get ca. 42 mpg in the city if we remember to drive it properly! With gas prices rising the way they are, this investment will pay itself off handsomely!

G

·
0 Posts
Auto Stop problem

the driver side carpeting rides up into the clutch path which stop the clutch from going all the way in. Pull the carpeting back and the auto stop will work correctly. Their is a hole in the carpet to hold the carpet in place but Honda did not create the catch in the floor for the carpet hole. I have a manual transmission and I have made a habit to every so often to pull the carpet back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts