Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the scoop with the auto-parking/backing feature? I read it was avialable on Prius in Japan. Is it? Does it work?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Oh yes! Very much available in Japan, not available in the U.S. or rather N.A. in general. I can't speak to European models, however I get the impression they to are not quipped with the parking assistance system.

I'm not sure why the other markets the car is sold in do not have this offered. I would rather have the parking assistance than nav even, but knowing how litigious the U.S. is, this is a feature they don't want to end up in courts in the states. Unfortunate that great technology can't come here due to fear of court action and legislation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
dontcheff said:
I bought as an extra option the parking radar. 440 euro (like 500 USD). Are we talking about the same thing?
No, they are not...

In japan they have a feature that parks the car for you, without your intervention. You find the spase, press a button, she will take measurement and park the car for you.

You taht have a radar, when you go in reverse, do you hear BOTH beeps? The Prius's default reverse beep AND the Radar's Beep?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, I have 2 beeps :) The normal reverse beep plus the radar beep which is a bit stronger and increases as you approach an objects. Well, the signal is getting more and more continuous.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The.Tramp said:
In japan they have a feature that parks the car for you, without your intervention. You find the spase, press a button, she will take measurement and park the car for you.
I wonder if this is like EV mode... the functionality is there, but the button is not...

·
Registered
81 Posts
melgish said:
The.Tramp said:
I wonder if this is like EV mode... the functionality is there, but the button is not...
Doubt it.

This function needs more than a button: Two radars placed behing and in front of the car, to take measurements. Probably the logic (program) is burned in the ROMs, but the radars are not there... :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
dontcheff said:
Yes, I have 2 beeps :) The normal reverse beep plus the radar beep which is a bit stronger and increases as you approach an objects. Well, the signal is getting more and more continuous.
I thought so.

I told by dealer to install the reverse radar OLNY if they can remove the reverse beep. Otherwise I am not interested.

I'm still waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The.Tramp said:
dontcheff said:
I thought so.

I told by dealer to install the reverse radar OLNY if they can remove the reverse beep. Otherwise I am not interested.

I think both beeps are fine/useful. The seat belt one is more irritating :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
dontcheff said:
The.Tramp said:
I thought so.

I think both beeps are fine/useful. The seat belt one is more irritating :)
There IS a seat belt Beep? :eek: :wink: I alays wear mine, so, it's not that irritating....

But the reverse, with the Radar, is another matter. I can accept a reverse beep, but not when you have a radar beep indicating the distamce, it's confusing!(still have to hear it)

·
Registered
81 Posts
dontcheff said:
You will hear the radar beep only when you are very close to something...
Ah, oh yes? How close?

I thought that i would hear beep . . . beep (one dot, one second) if there is no obstable, then the beeps come nearer to each other while the oblstacle gets nearer, until you hera a continious beep when you are almost touching the obstacle.

Plese explain before I go and tell-off my dealer (that will be tomorrow evening) :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beeps aside...Does anyone have the auto park? Anyone read if is really works? I mean getting it right 99.9 % of the time wouldn't cut it would it? Japan posters, what's the scoop? Know anyone who has the ultimate cool gadget?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The.Tramp said:
dontcheff said:
You will hear the radar beep only when you are very close to something...
Ah, oh yes? How close?

I thought that i would hear beep . . . beep (one dot, one second) if there is no obstable, then the beeps come nearer to each other while the oblstacle gets nearer, until you hera a continious beep when you are almost touching the obstacle.

Plese explain before I go and tell-off my dealer (that will be tomorrow evening) :)
I think that the radar starts beeping when you are less than 1m from an objects.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I believe only Japan has the AutoPark, it requires an additional ECU as well as the backup camera.

From what I heard, few in Japan use it as it is too slow. It is not suitable to park in a tight spot between 2 cars.

I do not believe it uses any radar. The camera is fixed so what's out there shows appropriately on the screen. Then you position a rectangle overlayed over the image from the rear camera to where you want to park the car. Based on your movement, the car makes the appropriate moves to put it there. In other words, if you move the rectangle 1 inch left, it will park the car 10 feet back and 10 feet to the left. If you moved 2 inches, then it will park 10 feet back, 20 feet to the left.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yep, Dan's right. It's used in conjunction with the backup-camera. The rectangles will change colour depending on what the computer sees as obstacles (e.g. you can position the rectangule over a spot that has a car already, it'll show red and the car will not park). Also, you'll have to go through a series of windows, long enough that it'll probably be faster if you parked it yourself. It memorises up to 3 spots so it's probably more suited for when you park your car at home or at the office. You control the brake pedal to control the speed. Lift off too fast and the system will deactivate and you're back to "manual" parking.

As for the backup sensors, most will start beeping immediately when you put the car into reverse and the frequency of the beeps will increase until it's one continuous long beep. Frankly, I would prefer the red/yellow/green visual warning to the beep warning.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow, I hope the current map-scale isn't worked into that...

1 inch down, 1 inch to the right, and your car parks itself somewhere in Austrailia...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. That's the reassurance I was looking for. Better off without it. :)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
It's more commonly called "Integrated Parking Assist."
You really have to watch the video to get a good idea of what's going on:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/company/prius/c ... 3_300k.asx
They start showing it off around 3:30 into the video, to around 4:45.

Simply, it's an expensive option in Japan that has the car help you to parallel park.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 51432.html

With your foot on the brake, you put the car into reverse. Video from
a rear-view camera is shown on your display screen. you point at the
screen to input points for where you want the car to be parked. Then,
keeping your foot on the brake, the car will reverse, and it will
turn the wheels/steering wheel for you, while you keep an eye out for
any obstructions and control the speed of the reversing/parking with
your foot on the brake. (The IPA isn't smart enough to notice if an
object has wandered into the area that you're reversing into, such as
a dog or a person or another car - it's the driver's responsibility to
guide the car with the brake and the on-screen system.) It's a "look
ma, no hands!" kind of parallel-parking.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
maybe, just maybe they'll bring the updated version next time around

1 - 20 of 21 Posts