Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Prius - basic simple things cruise, power windows, no nav or perimieter detecting keyless entry (FOB only with buttons).

I drive to work in the bright sun in the morning and I have to adjust the display to "bright" by rolling the wheel up to the left of the steering wheel - then at night everything is too bright. Isn't there some sort of sensor that would determne the brightness outside and adjust accordingly? I see some sort of sensor on my dash just where the lower windsheild meets the dash on the left. Anyone know if this is possible, or maybe supposed to work this way? :idea:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Just roll it to full brightness for day, then down for night. If that isn't enough, there are menu settings to change the day and night brightness and contrast of the MFD.

The sensor you see is for the A/C system to measure solar load; the area next to it is blank (used for DRL sensor in some non-US models)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The sensor on the dash is for the climate control.

Are your headlights on when you have to adjust the brightness? If the headlights are on, your instrument panel will be dimmed unless you manually turn the brightness up with the thumb wheel. If you turn the brightness all the way up (pass the detent in the thumb wheel) the brightness will not dim when you turn on your headlights.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Canadian market have the full auto, DRL lighting system. They however do not have the option of HID. We do have the option of HID, but no DRL/Full auto. We have auto off though.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The auto off feature isn't the kind of auto off that I like or am used to. It is a battery drain safety feature becasue it is keyed to turn off the headlights when the drivers door is opened after the vehicle is shut off. If you turn on the headlights after the car is powered down they will turn on and no turn off, causing a potential aux battery draining situation.

A true auto lamp feature on the Prius in the U.S. would be a huge plus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.