Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of the Prius auto dimming mirror. I have never used this kind of device so I have some questions.

Does the mirror provide either outside temperature or compass direction heading?

When the Prius is shifted into reverse does the anti-glare function turn off?
When I use a regular mirror and forget to change it back to regular mode it is difficult to see pedestrians at night in parking lots etc.

Finally, I read on another Prius site that the use of a translucent blue piece of plastic enhanses the performance of the anti-glare function. The site said to tape the plastic to the mirror sensor which was on the front windshield side of the mirror. I thought the sensor was supposed to "see" the traffic in the rear.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It does not have a compass or temperature reading.

It does not have a shut-off for reverse, but unless there's a car directly behind you with its lights one, it shouldn't dim in reverse.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Our version doesn't provide temperature or compass readings.

There are two sensors on the mirror. One facing forward (and where you put that tape) to detect ambient lighting conditions and one sensor facing the rear to detect a light source falling onto the mirror.

There is an override to turn the mirror off if you so need to but since it's auto-dimming, it will automatically dim when needed.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
mkaliski said:
I am considering the purchase of the Prius auto dimming mirror. I have never used this kind of device so I have some questions.

Does the mirror provide either outside temperature or compass direction heading?

When the Prius is shifted into reverse does the anti-glare function turn off?
When I use a regular mirror and forget to change it back to regular mode it is difficult to see pedestrians at night in parking lots etc.

Finally, I read on another Prius site that the use of a translucent blue piece of plastic enhanses the performance of the anti-glare function. The site said to tape the plastic to the mirror sensor which was on the front windshield side of the mirror. I thought the sensor was supposed to "see" the traffic in the rear.

Any help would be appreciated.
My auto dim/ Home link mirror has both compass and temp. The mirror senses the difference in light coming from the front and the rear, and will dim if there is significantly more from behind. When driving on well lighted freeways it may not dim enough to suit you. The plastic over the front sensor will give you a greater difference so it will dim more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How easy was the install?

Is the wiring readily available in the headliner for an upgrade to the auto dimming mirror?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The mirror is made from Gentex and there are several models. The one Toyota uses for the Prius in some of its packages has homelink only. Gentex does not sell to the public, but does have a distributor for aftermarket kits. Some of the options available in different models with the mirror include a compass/OAT, tire pressure monitoring, map light, and OnStar.

Here are some links:
http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/nightvisi ... irrors.htm
http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/homelinka ... irrors.htm
http://www.gentex.com/auto_plo_interior.html

The overhead dome light does not have the harness for the mirror, however ground and B+ could be tapped here since the map lights in the overhead need it to work when the car is off. However, the ACC or IG would need to be routed so that the dimmer function would not drain your battery when the car is off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts