Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Prius was ordered with an auto-dimming mirror which includes homelink. I also wanted a digital compass; however, Toyota does not offer that option in the Prius. I did find an auto dim mirror with a built in compass on http://toyotapartspeople.com/ but this one did not have homelink. I found the solution at WalMart - a digital compass that installs on the corner of the rear view mirror. Installation and calibration were a snap. Cost less than $30.

BTW, I also bought a front mask and cargo net from the same site for the same price as Coastal. Expected delivery June 10th (less than 10 days from purchae to delivery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hyperion said:
You got it calibrated in the Prius? I was told because of all the electrics it was impossible!
I had no trouble calibrating the compass. I checked it out and it tracks very well to all the cardinal points. I installed the sensor below the anchor location of the rear view mirror (as directed in the installation instructions) and it does not seem to be affected by any of the Prius' electronics.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Magnets don't usually care much about volts, no matter how big the number. Amps, especially if they are changing, are a different story, however. But the big ones in the Prius are pretty well shielded. Even small amps, if close enough, can make a difference at the scales of the Earth's magnetic field. That's why positioning is so important and not easily predicted from one car model to the next.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you have NAV, you already have a compass. For one thing you can select Nort Up or Heads Up map orientation. With heads Up, you have a moving compass in the upper lefthand part of the screen.
Also, one of the map view is a large compass as well as lat/lon display.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts