Toyota Prius Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know what, once I made that post everyone either hyperventilated, started calling others names or started acting like they'll never come back... just delete the damn thing and let it be over... I've learned my lessons and the anal retentive bastards can have their way

I will never post anything else that isn't an answer to a previous question, a comment directly about MY PRIUS AUTOMOBILE AND SOMETHING IT IS OR IS NOT DOING SPECIFICALLY, or a question to me particularly.

I had so far been enjoying myself in this forum and I apparently got too relaxed. I thought I would contact a politician and mention things concerning the Prius, the environment and emissions. My mistake. And as I said above, I have learned my lessons and will now limit my participation BY CHOICE, accordingly.

I apologize for all of the heartache, turmoil and anger I have caused and promise that such will not be the case in the future.

I ask that the admin, upon seeing this, completely delete the subject "My Letter to John Kerry" as I wish to have nothing political coming out of my mouth on this board ever again. I've been personally attacked, belittled, etc enough from a board about a DAMN CAR.

Thank you

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bradca - if you felt that way because of any of my posts, I truly apologize. I try not to attack anyone personally, but I know I am not perfect.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hdrygas said:
I would like to see a specified place for such discussions and have posts moved to that area when they get too far off topic.
That would be nice, but I still want this topic removed from the BOARD as I'm tired of being treated like the newest little "novelty"

Actually, I guess a better way to express the way I feel from that thread would be...
Ever see someone that has a dog they've trained to stand on 2 legs and shake hands? Then you got the people in the back going "Aww... he's trying to be like people..."

Read JUST THE FIRST FOUR ITEMS on the John Kerry thread and you'll HOPEFULLY see why I feel like that. I've been humiliated and treated like a juvenile and I REFUSE to put up with it.

If the thread is not removed, or at least addressed by an admin, I will remove MYSELF from this board permanently.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Why get up tight about it. Most of the people in the discussion are behaving rationally. Don't let a select few freak you out.

Besides. *I* think it's unfair of you to ask the admin to delete my stupid comments which is what would happen if the thread gets axed. ;-)

Cheers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I missed the first part of this, but from what I gather, it involved a politcal post that upset some folks. The other chatline, Priuschat.com, has a forum specifically set aside for poltical and other not-specifically-Prius oriented subject matter. In that forum, you are given "free speech" permisisson, and it's a handy place for the administrators to dump posts that get off the subject of the Prius.
There are generalized bodies of poltical thought that might be more common among Prius owners than in the general public, but not everyone who has a Prius or wants one, is on the same wavelength about other issues.
Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel for you bradca.

We also need to realize that most people who post their opinions on forums could not say face to face what they write. This faceless communication robs one of direct humanity. One needs to ask oneself, “Would I say this to him or her, if I were face to face?"

I have found in other forums that I have participated, that people who have had the desire to flame finally find a place. As long as no one knows your name and address, you can get away with allot. I also do not use my real name here :wink:

Right?

NiMHPrius

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brad,
I was post #2 in the Kerry thread and I hope you took my comments constructively. Even though the thread has little to do with the car we are here to discuss, kudos for triggering a lively exchange. So near the election it's normal that this would be a hot and passionate topic. No need to apologize for anything. I don't think you caused heartache, turmoil or anger. I think most of us understand that part of our (America's) tradition is the civil exchange of ideas without fear of repercussions....it's freedom. Granted, some people have different thicknesses of skin and varied levels of bluntness, but I think all in all this was a fairly constructive and civilized discussion. Thanks for being the catalyst and don't forget to vote.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dstar said:
Brad,
I was post #2 in the Kerry thread and I hope you took my comments constructively. Even though the thread has little to do with the car we are here to discuss, kudos for triggering a lively exchange. So near the election it's normal that this would be a hot and passionate topic. No need to apologize for anything. I don't think you caused heartache, turmoil or anger. I think most of us understand that part of our (America's) tradition is the civil exchange of ideas without fear of repercussions....it's freedom. Granted, some people have different thicknesses of skin and varied levels of bluntness, but I think all in all this was a fairly constructive and civilized discussion. Thanks for being the catalyst and don't forget to vote.
dstar-
I knew I was pissed by the time message 4 came around and that's why I told people "read the first four..."
I had no problem with your post and should have put "read my post, and then 3 and 4"

It was not your remarks, but rather the remarks such as:

Why would such a literate and otherwise bright seeming lad seize so fervently onto what was clearly a slight defect in English speach presentation? Surely no intelligent person would actually believe any president at any time would actually feel that way. Freudian slip? Hardly! To try to make more of it than it was is infantile.
To try to make a federal case out of it and imbue it with great importance is to point out the lack of perspective often observed in youth.
Now there is a noble and much higher calling than the childish clinging to a slip of the lip. I'm sure the Kerry camp were amused by thte letter
bradca21 is only 22. When I was that age I was young and stupid too
those individuals that simply 'need' a reason to hate him and will look for any reason to satisfy that same 'need'. It looks like bradca21 may fit in that category
all but the last quote were agreed with, or at least that's what "Phoenix" says...
I don't want to take sides. But, I agree with PatrickG
Other remarks throughout the thread that have me pissed are:

but at 22, you know no other as an adult
you may figure things out by 30
AND THEN, in the SAME post...
For you to say that I spoke down to you like a dumbass is out of line
P.S. Thanks for the tip about reading the subject header... I never would have figured THAT one out.
In this post, I hope I did two things... Show dstar that where I first said it was ALL of the first four replies...
AND
defend my request that this thread be removed.

OH and by the way
If all of this age-bashing bullsh*t is going to be a common thing in here, I have no problem leaving one final post telling all of you "holier and higher than thou mother-f___ers where to go, thank those that WEREN'T arrogant pieces of sh*t and go on my way

·
Registered
112 Posts
I fully agree with Brad. I've had several encounters like these because of my age. It really makes you not want to post anymore. I don't believe we should be disrespected just because of our age. Our opinions are as good as anyone elses if not better.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
bradca21 said:
OH and by the way
If all of this age-bashing bullsh*t is going to be a common thing in here, I have no problem leaving one final post telling all of you "holier and higher than thou mother-f___ers where to go, thank those that WEREN'T arrogant pieces of sh*t and go on my way
Wow.

I reduced the font of the above quote, because I think the words themselves say it all.

And all I have to say is "wow." Oh yeah, I guess I said that already, didn't I?

If this type of political discussion (argument) bothers you, then I would recommend that you take a break from starting these political types of posts. It's the same reason I don't start them. I mean, come on...why play with lighter fluid and matches in a refinery?

Of course, I may present a difficult topic from time to time, but it's not because I think I have something to prove; just some information to present. The "peak oil" conversations just kind of evolved from there. It's a topic near and dear to my heart, only because of my true love and concern for mankind. (See, conservatives can and do love people! :p )

And once in awhile, when things really get heated, I will just let the other guy have the last word. What the heck; it's not going to hurt me, but continuing on and on and on would just ruin any chance of having a friendship with great people like you or Daniel.

Besides, I know I'm right. :wink: But the key to staying healthy is realizing that I can be confident, and that I don't always have to prove I'm right.

Although it's sometimes difficult, it also helps to have a sense of humor. Er, as long as people can pick up on that humor. Otherwise, they may take it wrong. Serious subjects can still be laughed at, from time to time. Both Bush AND Kerry are pretty funny, once you think about it.

I respect and support my President, but it is kind of funny how he pronounces words like "nucular" and "strateegery". Normally, I'd be miffed, but I think he probably does know how to pronounce words correctly. After all, he graduated with degrees from both Yale and Harvard. Yeah, I think he probably slipped once or twice, and just decided to stick with the pronunciations he established.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to help out here. If you really really cannot bring yourself to laugh or not take things so personally, then maybe it would be a good idea to take a break, as I mentioned. I don't mean to "go away" or anything like that. Just take a "vaca" from the political posts. Who knows, taking a step back sometimes lends perspective and viewpoint that wouldn't have otherwise appeared.

I guess that's a bit more than "wow," but I didn't want you to think I was belittling you.

I hope you have a good day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I guess there is something worse than being young and ignorant and that is being young, ignorant, and foul mouthed. I, for one, certainly did not take the young and stupid comment to be a big time personal attack on you but a confession that someone recalls what it was like to be young, unseasoned, and inexperienced with tendencies to overreact.

As for my comments, I think they were pretty much on target.

I still don't think you used "Freudian slip" advisedly. I think your BIG revelation regarding Bushes tendency (learned or accidental) to sometimes mispeak is "much ado about noting" and was "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

It is tough to learn anything if you spend all your time seething with anger at not being fully appreciated and defending your mistakes.

Most of us, if we are honest with ourselves, can relate to you because we remember a bit of what it was like to think WE OWNED THE ONLY FUNCTIONING BRAIN IN THE UNIVERSE. I'm reminded of a bumper sticker I saw... "People who think they know everything piss off those of us who do!" I am also reminded of a time when my dad told me that if in the future I had degrees enough to cover the top of the table, I'd never ever be as smart as I was at that moment (7th grade.) I have 4 and he was right. The more I know the more I know that I don't know. With a few years seasoning (if you don't have a seizure while you are turning purple at our comments about your youth) you might gain wisdom (you have intelligence but need to aquire some wisdom, perspective, and patience.)

"Patience, PATIENCE, P A T I E N C E ! ! ! ! and just how long will that take to learn??!!!!

Want respect? Earn it. Often folks are treated like they act. Want to be treated like an adult, act like an adult instead of a tantrum throwing child.

Most adults don't encite a riot and then cry fowl when someone throws a stone at them. Be introspective. Ask yourself why many of the "wolfpack" went for your jugular. Not everyone is treated that way here. Don't you think you might have triggered the feeding frenzy? You think maybe there is a random number generator and you were lucky subscriber xxxx and the computer automatically sent out email to all us curmugeons and pot stirers with suggested talking points on how to get your blood pressure up?

I have a great revelation for you.. "Whether you know it or not, behind your back the universe is laughing at you!" We do not live in a bradca21centric universe! It isn't all about you. Most readers here probably could have cared less what you said in your letter, what anyone said about what you said, or your childish tactic of throwing a tantrum and spewing profanity to protest your being accused of being too chilldish.

Youth is a wonderful thing except it is wasted on the young. One last impression... from "Airplane" Everyone lining up in the isle to slap the histerical lady. Replace lady with child.

Now for some stark contrast. The Cobra Kid is also young and claims to have suffered for it but not much here as he isn't a jerk and treats folks with a bit of respect and so gets respect from most folks who comment to or about him.

"Go and do ye likewise."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Pat :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BIF said:
bradca21 said:
OH and by the way
Wow.

I reduced the font of the above quote, because I think the words themselves say it all.

And all I have to say is "wow." Oh yeah, I guess I said that already, didn't I?

If this type of political discussion (argument) bothers you, then I would recommend that you take a break from starting these political types of posts. It's the same reason I don't start them. I mean, come on...why play with lighter fluid and matches in a refinery?

BIF- It's not the fact that I got replies that weren't "YES... I agree with Brad...." in a droned mechanical nature... People disagree and have their own opinions? FANTASTIC. It not only makes America diverse, but totally honestly... before I started to hear AND listen to John Kerry speak, I was planning on voting for A REPUBLICAN for the first time ever...

It's the fact that I came up with TEN (10) (diez) (X) (I don't know of any other ways to express it) examples of people commenting on AGE... well, 7 that mentioned my age as the entire reason I was wrong (age, infantile, you'll learn when you're 30 etc) and three that just made me wonder if people PROOFREAD before they send (it;s all the quotes in my multicolored post)

Honestly, I'm glad that last paragraph got someone's attention. I speak with Brain ALL THE TIME on AOL IM's and he told me once something along the lines of "I hope you never piss anyone off, because as a moderator I have to report it" I hope I don't have to, but if this age discrimination crap keeps up I'm gonna make a post so nasty Brian won't have a chance to delete it and ban me... the admin will probably be contacted specifically just to do it him/herself...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
patrickg said:
I guess there is something worse than being young and ignorant and that is being young, ignorant, and foul mouthed. I, for one, certainly did not take the young and stupid comment to be a big time personal attack on you but a confession that someone recalls what it was like to be young, unseasoned, and inexperienced with tendencies to overreact.

As for my comments, I think they were pretty much on target.

I still don't think you used "Freudian slip" advisedly. I think your BIG revelation regarding Bushes tendency (learned or accidental) to sometimes mispeak is "much ado about noting" and was "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

It is tough to learn anything if you spend all your time seething with anger at not being fully appreciated and defending your mistakes.

Most of us, if we are honest with ourselves, can relate to you because we remember a bit of what it was like to think WE OWNED THE ONLY FUNCTIONING BRAIN IN THE UNIVERSE. I'm reminded of a bumper sticker I saw... "People who think they know everything piss off those of us who do!" I am also reminded of a time when my dad told me that if in the future I had degrees enough to cover the top of the table, I'd never ever be as smart as I was at that moment (7th grade.) I have 4 and he was right. The more I know the more I know that I don't know. With a few years seasoning (if you don't have a seizure while you are turning purple at our comments about your youth) you might gain wisdom (you have intelligence but need to aquire some wisdom, perspective, and patience.)

"Patience, PATIENCE, P A T I E N C E ! ! ! ! and just how long will that take to learn??!!!!

Want respect? Earn it. Often folks are treated like they act. Want to be treated like an adult, act like an adult instead of a tantrum throwing child.

Most adults don't encite a riot and then cry fowl when someone throws a stone at them. Be introspective. Ask yourself why many of the "wolfpack" went for your jugular. Not everyone is treated that way here. Don't you think you might have triggered the feeding frenzy? You think maybe there is a random number generator and you were lucky subscriber xxxx and the computer automatically sent out email to all us curmugeons and pot stirers with suggested talking points on how to get your blood pressure up?

I have a great revelation for you.. "Whether you know it or not, behind your back the universe is laughing at you!" We do not live in a bradca21centric universe! It isn't all about you. Most readers here probably could have cared less what you said in your letter, what anyone said about what you said, or your childish tactic of throwing a tantrum and spewing profanity to protest your being accused of being too chilldish.

Youth is a wonderful thing except it is wasted on the young. One last impression... from "Airplane" Everyone lining up in the isle to slap the histerical lady. Replace lady with child.

Now for some stark contrast. The Cobra Kid is also young and claims to have suffered for it but not much here as he isn't a jerk and treats folks with a bit of respect and so gets respect from most folks who comment to or about him.

"Go and do ye likewise."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Pat :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Well, the little f'in yokel of the board finally collects his balls enough to speak. I guess the fact that you weren't enough of a pompous b*st*rd in the first post automatically invited you over here?

I ask you two questions "patrickg":

1) What is your age? (just years, I don't need some sarcastic ass answer)

2) What the F*CK makes me and everyone else on this board that has an opinion AND is UNDER THIRTY YEARS OLD, so damn stupid in your eyes?

If you can answer this post in a civil way, I hope that you do...

If not, I hope you go into the trunk of your prius and F*CK yourself with some combination of the components you find in there...

If discrimination against someone just because of their age (YES YOU ARE DOING THAT WHETHER YOU FEEL YOU ARE OR NOT) were a crime, I would have had my lawyer on your ass so hard you'd have your doctor checking for a colon polyp.

Oh, and if you think that making a politely "*******-ish" remark on this board in order to piss me off was a great plan, and going to work. Well, I guess we could bicker on that, but I think anyone is going to see that you are the same punkass that you view me to be...

(I also want you to realize that I currently have 162 posts on here. Some were a minor remark, some were a major curiostity or an answer... I can easily say that the first ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY POSTS I MADE were completely not related to your ass, and until you came along, I didn't have a single negative thing to say to/at/about anyone...)

You come off in MY EYES, as bad as someone MY AGE comes off in yours... and I'm sure some portion, even little, has something to do with the fact you're in a place as secluded from the rest of the world as OKLAHOMA... My god... I just had a revelation... are you THIS much of a "hole" because you live in a state that's one big "Mayberry" where people listen to their elders as though it were the gospel, and only speak when spoken TO? No wonder you're such a pissed off and angry human being...

And... FYI princess... for someone as stupid, illiterate, unworldly and infantile as myself, I'm 22 years old, have bought my #9 Prius cash and have just bought my first home... all WITHOUT the help of "mommy" or a rich relative... Does that necessarily mean anything? Eh... but I don't know many infantile, unworldly and slightly educated people that have done that well at 22...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brad

I am also very young (20yrs) but I think that your reactions to everyone's comments is showing that you're immature. Just take it easy. Calm down and don't get so worked up. If you want to express your feelings about those comments, tone down on the language and say what you want in a rational way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LAHF12599 said:
Brad

I am also very young (20yrs) but I think that your reactions to everyone's comments is showing that you're immature. Just take it easy. Calm down and don't get so worked up. If you want to express your feelings about those comments, tone down on the language and say what you want in a rational way.
So sit and be belittled in a forum where an addressed ADMIN can't even respond or do anything about it, to respond in a way that's more or less "Okie dokie... I respect your opinion"

Right...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Brad, coming from someone who agrees with most of what you said in the Letter to Kerry thread, and who has observed both wisdom and foolishness in people of all age groups, please calm down.

Politics is a very emotional topic, and people will react to it in a variety of ways. Some will respond with purely intellectual arguments, some with sarcasm, some with personal insults, and (in face-to-face encounters) a few with violence. Any tool to dispute any person or position will be siezed upon by someone, sooner or later.

You must have a thick skin if you are going to discuss politics. And just remember: when they attack you instead of your argument it means they have no answer to your argument, and you have won. Provided you can laugh at their insults. Because if you cannot laugh at their insults, then they have won, and they'll know how to push your buttons.

It's also useful to be able to laugh at yourself: take the issues seriously, but take yourself with some humor.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Daniel said:
Brad, coming from someone who agrees with most of what you said in the Letter to Kerry thread, and who has observed both wisdom and foolishness in people of all age groups, please calm down.

Politics is a very emotional topic, and people will react to it in a variety of ways. Some will respond with purely intellectual arguments, some with sarcasm, some with personal insults, and (in face-to-face encounters) a few with violence. Any tool to dispute any person or position will be siezed upon by someone, sooner or later.

You must have a thick skin if you are going to discuss politics. And just remember: when they attack you instead of your argument it means they have no answer to your argument, and you have won. Provided you can laugh at their insults. Because if you cannot laugh at their insults, then they have won, and they'll know how to push your buttons.

It's also useful to be able to laugh at yourself: take the issues seriously, but take yourself with some humor.
Daniel, well said! Brad, I too agreed with the letter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CaPriusLover said:
Daniel said:

Daniel, well said! Brad, I too agreed with the letter.
Daniel and CaPriusLover:

Thank you very much for a point well made and your kind words. I just gained a little more faith in the people of this forum. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.