Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code was P0137 which turns out to be the oxygen sensor right after the final catalytic converter - this one is often referred to as the "tattle tell" sensor because it supplies the final reading of unburned fuel in the escaping exhaust.

The light came on for a day and then went off - not sure what triggered it but it's been 800 + miles since that occurred. My Toyota tech believes that there might have been something in the exhaust tract that temporarily fouled the sensor. We ran the scan tool on the car now and everything looks ok.

Anyone else get this DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I've seen this in several posts. It sounds like a residue in the engine from manufacturig burns off and trips the sensor. I think the mechanics on other cases have switched the light off, and then took the car out for a good run. The alternative is to just ignore it and the light will go off on its' own in a couple of hundred miles.

Your description sounds just like the others.

Fredo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
Fredo,
The O2 sensor light you're thinking about usually occurs in the first 100-200 miles, not over 2100 miles. I'd definately want to get this carefully checked. It might be another issue that will take care of itself, but it is NOT well reported at this point and would be an issue of concern until someone in the know tells you otherwise.
--evan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Joel said:
Code was P0137 which turns out to be the oxygen sensor right after the final catalytic converter - this one is often referred to as the "tattle tell" sensor because it supplies the final reading of unburned fuel in the escaping exhaust.

The light came on for a day and then went off - not sure what triggered it but it's been 800 + miles since that occurred. My Toyota tech believes that there might have been something in the exhaust tract that temporarily fouled the sensor. We ran the scan tool on the car now and everything looks ok.

Anyone else get this DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code)?

Not the P0137 you got, but there is
a TSB out for P0136 and/or P0138.
It's the burn-off triggering the O2
sensor to go off. Drive on the
highway some, and it'll go away.
TSB EG018-03
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... /eg018.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Even's right, I think everything I'd seen had ocurred at under 1,000 miles. You sould probably get it checked out soon. It may still be this problem, but could just as easy be something serious.

Fredo
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Fredo said:
Even's right, I think everything I'd seen had ocurred at under 1,000 miles. You sould probably get it checked out soon. It may still be this problem, but could just as easy be something serious.

Fredo
or, your check engine light could
just be that you didn't tighten your
gas cap tight enough...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
mrv said:
or, your check engine light could
just be that you didn't tighten your
gas cap tight enough...
Ah, Michelle, he already said that the code means it's the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter...not the gas cap.
--evan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Check engine light at 30,500 miles

Hi all. I've been reading the forum since I got my 2002 Prius in March 02 and, though I've benefitted from all manner of discussion, this is my first post. :p

I don't know if this is related to the thread in the 2100 mile check engine light in this thread, but my Prius just got a check engine light last week. Took it in and they got a code that said "replace front exhaust", so they did, as well as the gaskets where that pipe connected to the other components. (If needed, I can get the exact code off the paperwork) I was glad this was before the 36,000 mile mark and under warranty as the job was priced at over $1500. From what I'm told, I got a new catalytic converter when they replaced that pipe, which is why the cost was so high.

Anyone else had this problem or have other information as to what caused it? Can anyone post the contents of TSB EG018-03 as I haven't been able to access the link posted earlier. Thanks, Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
codes are helpful

I do have a pile of Toyota TSBs that
have been sent to me, but I haven't
had time recently to parse through
them for Prius-related TSBs.

If I knew the error code, I could look
it up if there's a TSB on it, and
others can check their classic
Prius repair manuals to see if your
dealer got the right diagnosis.

I have been posting the TSBs over
on the toyota-prius-sat1 yahoogroup
when I find them (Messages and/or
the Files sections). However, you
have to be a member of the group in
order to download from the files section.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top