Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for some solid info on Hybrid (SULEV) use of the HOV lanes in AZ - regardless of the # of passengers. I've been on the phone to ADOT, DPS and the BMV and get a different answer every time.
I have found a Sentate Bill 1429 that was passed by the AZ legislature in 2001 that would allow the Prius, Insight & Civic Hybrid to use the HOV lanes - but apparently the Feds (FHTA) are holding it up because they contribute $'s to the construction of HOV lanes in AZ.

That's the best I've been able to find, have heard through the grapevine that the current Federal energy bill would remedy this, but have not been able to find documentation...

I'm hopeful that this will be remedied soon - any tips on where to search for some facts or who to petition to make some changes would be great! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prius & the HOV

I have seen a Prius that obtained the AFV plates, but have not been able to ask that person how, and like you, each time I call ADOT, I get a different answer. If you learn anything, I would love to hear from you... I will do the same as I found your message when researching the same topic!

Best wishes!

Jeni

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope. Hybrids are *supposed* to register as normal passenger vehicles. They did pass the bill in 01, but it was shot down at the federal level.

However, that has not prevented way too many hybrids from getting the special alternative fuel plates. I think this is happening mainly at the dealership level unfortunately. I would encourage you to write down any offending license plate numbers you happen to see and report them because (HOV lane use aside) it's not right that they pay ~$30 a year for registration while others with the same car pay in the neighborhood of $300.

I've been on and off with the state over this for about a year now.

G

·
0 Posts
arizona HOV lane use

Please don't give up! and don't discount buying one just because you can't use the HOV lane. There's nothing like sitting in a traffic jam in your hybrid, the engine shuts off, the AC keeps cranking and it honestly gives you a whole new outlook on traffic : )

I'm confident that things will be changing, so many states are pursuing the Hybrid HOV lane use that something's gotta give as there are more on the road - plus the Prius is a GREAT car, we love ours & have no regrets about the purchase!

Good luck!
Amy

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I've been thinking about this. Driver-only permission to drive in the HOV ("High Occupancy Vehicle") lanes will probably only be temporary.

After all, when everybody drives a hybrid, then the HOV lanes will be too congested to even use. Witness cities such as LA and Houston, where sometimes, HOV lanes can be slower than local lanes (or so I've heard).

My point is, if it comes to pass, great. Enjoy it while it lasts, but eventually, things will have to revert, or else traffic snarls will just worsen.

G

·
0 Posts
If I lived in Arizona (and I do), I would not give up hope for hybrids in the HOV lane just yet. While it would be in conflict with federal regulations, allowing hybrids in HOV lanes has occured in Virginia and will occur in California within the year (thanks to schwartzenegger of all people). If you are serious about hybrids in HOV lanes (and live in AZ), contact legislator Slade Mead, who currently is pushing for this very idea to come about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Red Insight said:
Nope. Hybrids are *supposed* to register as normal passenger vehicles. They did pass the bill in 01, but it was shot down at the federal level.

However, that has not prevented way too many hybrids from getting the special alternative fuel plates. I think this is happening mainly at the dealership level unfortunately. I would encourage you to write down any offending license plate numbers you happen to see and report them because (HOV lane use aside) it's not right that they pay ~$30 a year for registration while others with the same car pay in the neighborhood of $300.

You're right; the state does selectively enforce this. I was issued one 2 years ago, and they have been trying to get it back since. But every time I get a letter, I send back documentation supporting my point of view, *including* a picture of the U of A motorpool Prius with the alt. fuel plate on it, and they start "researching" the topic again. When the state removes the plate off of it's own cars, I will cheerfully return mine...

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Red Insight said:

P.S. Life is too short to go around causing problems for others just because they are more fortunate than you...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts