Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take this test to see if you are an mpg junkie...

(Welcome all non-Prius mpg junkies as well :) )

Have you ever turned the A/C off on a hot day to get better mpg ?

Do you keep the heater off on cold days to improve mpg ?

Does your Sig Other have to use the terms "roasting" or "freezing" to get you to use the A/C/Heater ?

Do you ever coast in neutral ?

Do you read, comment or participate in detailed discussions of the function of the Prius bladder ? Or other unique Hybrid features ?

Have you ever increased the psi on your tires to more than the mftrs suggested 35/33, to improve mileage ?

Have you ever rubbed your used motor oil all over your body to improve your complexion ?

If you answer YES to one of these questions, you are suspect. If you answer YES to two or more you are an mpg junkie in desperate need of rehab.

12 STEP REHAB PROGRAM FOR Prius MPG JUNKIES

1. Put a small piece of opaque masking tape over the places on display screen that show mpg.

2. Shred all paper records of mpg, fill-ups, temperature at fill-up, time of day, brand of gas, pump #, phase of moon,

3. Delete all computer records of same. Go to re-cycle bin on computer and delete them there also.

4. Rent a Large SUV for a WEEK, drive it exclusively for all activity.

5. For entire rehab period, do NOT re-read "hints for getting better mileage". Better yet, shred/delete that too.

6. Mid point. Test yourself.

Did you sleep in your Prius/vehicle after you returned the Large SUV ?
Did you sneak a peek at mpg screen ?
Did you secretly move mpg records to another place instead of shredding them ?

If NO to all questions, you have successfully completed REHAB.

If YES answer to any of the questions, continue on to #7.

7. Rent a Large SUV for MONTH, drive it exclusively for all activity.

8. Upon reuniting with your Prius/vehicle, no hugging, no kissing, no playing with the cargo net (horizontal or vertical).

9. Are you ready to permanently disavow ALL activity related to improving mpg, except to drive moderately, modestly and safely ?

If answer is YES, you have successfully completed rehab, go to Step 11.

If answer is NO, go to step 10.

10. Buy a Large SUV.

11. You may now resume recording mpg at fill ups, both calculated & computer. :D
BUT NO RECORDING OF :arrow: brand of gas, pump#s, phase of moon, slope of gas station, thickness of shoe soles, and similar frivolous environmental data . We have found these temptations are almost sure-fire to trigger repeat attacks of mpg junkie-ism.

12. Treat yourself to a fresh wild salmon dinner. :) You have earned it. 8)

p.s. Keep an eye out for my Canary.

Above and associated posts is a work of fiction & satire. It is for amusement only. It is not to be taken literally. Although real product names and features may be used, any relationship to the real products & companies is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No time...

If I take the test, I won't have time
to tend to my spreadsheet, which shows all the mileage
relevant variables, outside temperature (average for
that fill-up to .5'F), driving conditions for that tankful {split
between highway/suburbs down to .001 miles}, lbs in the car, tire inflation and tread condition (in mm.) entering
and exiting each trip, amount of rain (mm. again), which CD is
playing, condition of center console, headlights on/off, and so on.

So I don't think I have a problem...I'm just too busy.

But I'm sure there are other people out there who are definitely neurotic and need help. You are right to reach out to them.

PS: "Good Vibrations" gives best mileage, especially on warm, sunny spring days. Tires at 37/35 (OEM). Headlights off. No use of "B".

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: No time...

Isabelle said:
If I take the test, I won't have time
to tend to my spreadsheet, which shows all the mileage
relevant variables, outside temperature (average for
that fill-up to .5'F), driving conditions for that tankful {split
between highway/suburbs down to .001 miles}, lbs in the car, tire inflation and tread condition (in mm.) entering
and exiting each trip, amount of rain (mm. again), which CD is
playing, condition of center console, headlights on/off, and so on.

So I don't think I have a problem...I'm just too busy.

But I'm sure there are other people out there who are definitely neurotic and need help. You are right to reach out to them.

PS: "Good Vibrations" gives best mileage, especially on warm, sunny spring days. Tires at 37/35 (OEM). Headlights off. No use of "B".
So many need so much help, :( so little time. :cry:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It's nice of you to help all these poor sots with their addictive tendencies. Some people have no self control.
Excuse me... my mug is empty. :shock:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
It's nice of you to help all these poor sots with their addictive tendencies. Some people have no self control.
Empty? EMPTY?? YOU LET THE MUG GET EMPTY?? Are you MAD??? :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sanny said:
Hep said:
Empty? EMPTY?? YOU LET THE MUG GET EMPTY?? Are you MAD??? :?: :?: :?:
I'll bet he was so intent on the test questions that he ignored the flashing pip

hmmm wonder if there is a start up opportunity for a mug with a flashing pip &/or buzzer when the temp or quantitiy left drops too low. :lol:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
I'll bet he was so intent on the test questions that he ignored the flashing pip

hmmm wonder if there is a start up opportunity for a mug with a flashing pip &/or buzzer when the temp or quantitiy left drops too low. :lol:
And I wonder how many swallows there are left when the pip is flashing, and if a winter pip is different from a summer pip. This is all very confusing. :?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sanny said:
An04Prius said:

And I wonder how many swallows there are left when the pip is flashing, and if a winter pip is different from a summer pip. This is all very confusing. :?
I don't want to go into details, but it is all limited by the bladder.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
In Europe, they don't have bladders. Does that make a difference? :oops:

·
Registered
919 Posts
An04. I rather like the idea of rubbing motor oil all over my body, but why does it have to be "used"? Wouldn't the Prius mechanic think this an odd request which would further substantiate his notion that Prius owners are very odd?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sanny said:
Hep said:
In Europe, they don't have bladders. Does that make a difference? :oops:
I believe the humans do, although the consumption of wine and cafe con leche aruges otherwise.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
evander said:
An04. I rather like the idea of rubbing motor oil all over my body, but why does it have to be "used"? Wouldn't the Prius mechanic think this an odd request which would further substantiate his notion that Prius owners are very odd?
I believe the reasoning was that using motor oil that spent 5K miles in your Prius was an indication of a "special relationship" with your car. :)

As far as the mechanic goes. Yes.

I just wish he would reset my tire pressures properly after rotation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More junkie traits

So 2 weeks into owning my Prius, I find that:

On my 15 mile commute to work, I'm taking all back roads and avoiding highway to increase mileage.

I'm GLAD when I get stuck behind a slow driver cause it's an excuse to drive slower without angering the drivers behind me

I don't mind extra traffic jams/slow traffic lights, cause it means I can stay in electric longer.

I take the other car on the short 5-10 minute drives around town to not screw up my mpg.

Of course, driving speed limit and feathering, etc., goes without saying.

First 300 miles, got 49mpg. Currently 3 days after first gas fillup, getting 56mpg. Difference attributable to lead foot husband driving the Prius 100 miles home from the dealership.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ang04 needs to add this to the test:

-have you got rid of a lead-footed husband because of the way he drives your Prius?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isabelle said:
Ang04 needs to add this to the test:

-have you got rid of a lead-footed husband because of the way he drives your Prius?
Wise old Granpa bear say never ask or answer these questions:

Does this outfit make me look fat ? :shock:

Just exactly what is it you dont like about my mother ? :x

Should I get rid of my spouse because of lack of strong mpg commitment ? :wink:

Trouble in Igloo sure to follow :roll:

·
Registered
344 Posts
most auto shops won't adjust tire pressure unless the car has been sitting for 4 hours.

just a thought as to why mechanics won't readjust after rotating

i'd hate to have to take the weight of each of my friends before letting them in my pri for carpool. maybe they'd be offended.

no friends. another sign you're addicted to something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You certainly gave me my laugh of the day! :p Just yesterday I filled my tires to 40 and 38 psi. And as soon as I can tear myself away from this website, I plan to go grocery shopping. That's now an enhanced experience as I can practice coasting the hills. The speedometer display under the windshield was such a great safety idea. But I never look at it. I'm watching my display and maximizing my electric motor!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dmcnabney said:
You certainly gave me my laugh of the day! :p Just yesterday I filled my tires to 40 and 38 psi. And as soon as I can tear myself away from this website, I plan to go grocery shopping. That's now an enhanced experience as I can practice coasting the hills. The speedometer display under the windshield was such a great safety idea. But I never look at it. I'm watching my display and maximizing my electric motor!
In my opinion, no need to try to maximize your electric motor. Almost all energy in the P* comes from the gas engine. Manipulating it to stay in electric mode shows great mileage for NOW, but will be averaged out by lower mileage later by the gas engine recharging the battery. I believe you gain nothing in the long run, but I am not an expert, so I cannot be sure.

Drive moderately, modestly and safely, and let the car do its thing...I believe it will be much more efficient than a human.

Enjoy your car with no pressure to "perform":D that is the purpose of REHAB. :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have found possible evidence based on experience that there are times when driving electric for a time is better than ICE. ICE is not efficient at slow speeds. I have seen MPG drop to 40's at speeds say 25-30MPH, so if car runs EV during this time (which it often choses to do), then later, when I drive 40MPH, or even when I drive back at 25-30, RPM is up, being more efficient to charge the battery and propel the car.

But the only way to know for sure is to have real numbers, so it can be determined if ICE hit to charge batteries justifies having perceptively 'free' miles beforehand.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts